norfolk island pine

Clive60

Re: norfolk island pine

Post by Clive60 »

I brought mine with me when we moved, it was bought as a house plant three years previously. Kept it outside last winter.
Fail !!! Scorched at -2c and croaked after a couple of -8cs.
MikeC

Post by MikeC »

Yes it isn't gonna take -8, no chance.
kata

Post by kata »

Why did you not fleece it Clive?

icon_cheers
MikeC

Post by MikeC »

kata wrote:Why did you not fleece it Clive?

icon_cheers
I don't reckon fleecing would have been enough, the Norfolk Island Pine is pretty tender. I'm amazed any survive outside in the UK even on the mildest coastal locations.
Clive60

Post by Clive60 »

Kata, not an easy plant/tree to fleece, the branches are very brittle. I brought so many plants with me that I wouldn't have had room for it even it it survived the winter. Realising just how cold and frosty it gets here I don't think I would have had it for long anyway..
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

they are strange things,mine survived 2010 in the conservatory yet snuffed it last winter with higher temps
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
cheshirepalms
Location: Ellesmere Port, Mersey estuary, Cheshire 53.2N 2.8W

Post by cheshirepalms »

Hmmmm the vibe isnt very good and I'm wondering whether its worth it. If I can source a cheap one then I'll prob give it a go!
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

[quote="kata"]Could we see that J.J

I'm afraid not I don't live in Worcestershire any more. The other thing with monkey puzzles is after about 20-30 years the bottom branches start to die off and need to be trimmed back to the main trunk.
kata

Post by kata »

Thanks Mike, Clive and J.J

icon_cheers
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

cheshirepalms wrote:Does anyone else have any pictures or information about these surviving outside in the uk? These really are lovely plants and I've allways admired them in the med and wondered. Now I've seen the picture in Portsmouth and heard about the Ness Gardens one I'm really curious!
Here is a pic of one growing on Tresco, they have quite a few getting to a decent size again...

And mine taken earlier this year (difficult to get a shot of the whole thing as it's hidden in the corner, so this picture was taken by standing on a ladder peering over my kitchen roof :lol: )

There was another small one growing in the front garden of a house in Old Portsmouth, but when I went past there recently it was gone...
Attachments
Norfolk Island Pine, Tresco
Norfolk Island Pine, Tresco
Norfolk Island Pine, in my Southsea garden
Norfolk Island Pine, in my Southsea garden
cheshirepalms

Post by cheshirepalms »

Wow Nathan, great pictures! How long had yours been planted outside? Does it/has it received any protection? Do you think I have any chance?
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

cheshirepalms wrote:Wow Nathan, great pictures! How long had yours been planted outside? Does it/has it received any protection? Do you think I have any chance?
It was planted in 2002/2003 when only about 18 inches tall, you can see it at the front of the attached photo. It quickly grew to around 5ft by 2005 so I dug it up & potted it as was worried about it getting too big where it was & wanted to use that spot for something else. Being potted has slowed it down considerably...

It has never been protected & it has only ever had slight bronzing to some branches/tips of branches & soon sprouts new light green buds in spring. I don't think it would succeed outdoors permanantly where you are, but you could keep one in a tub & drag it under cover either for the whole winter, or just when below 0C temperatures are forecast? icon_thumleft
Attachments
Baby N.I.P
Baby N.I.P
cheshirepalms

Post by cheshirepalms »

I could but it could outgrow the greenhouse in maybe 5 years based on your growth, so I'd have to keep it out and would probably be best planted. Whats the lowest temperature its seen?
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Mine only grew fast when planted out, if you kept it quite potbound then it will really slow it down...

If you planted it out you would need to seriously protect it as the lowest mine has ever seen is -2.5C.
jimhardy

Post by jimhardy »

I rescued mine off the porch the other night/morning @4am,temp was 22F.
It will live.