George the Chamaedorea microspadix

lucienc

George the Chamaedorea microspadix

Post by lucienc »

At short notice I found myself in Surrey yesterday, with the morning free what else are you going to do, head over to the Palm Center !

This chap came home with me :
george.jpg
So any advice on where he should go in the garden and how I should care for him.

Lucien
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Re: George the Chamaedorea microspadix

Post by Dave Brown »

They prefer a shady position, and can get to quite a sizeable clump. Mine is under the north facing porch in a 12 inch tub but has still got to about 4 feet and now 8 stems. I've heard they can get bigger when planted out. General opinions is they are good to -7C. Too much sun makes the leaves a pasty yellow. :wink:

Not had this problem myself, but others have said they are a slug and snail salad, as in ideal conditions for them, shady and damp. Keep us posted with George's progress. :D
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Eddy »

Hi Lucien, I started a thread some time ago, as I was new to bamboo palm myself. It appears that they prefer shade and moist soil. But I was warned by a few who had them in the past that 'SNAILS LOVE THEM'. I was informed that they will strip the palm bare. So use plenty of snail pellets and the copper tape around the bottom of each stem. But when they get established they look really good. So I wish you well with them. :D :D :D
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

Nice buy Lucienc but looks like it's had too much sun already :) Put it in a shady spot asap!

It's a lovely looking palm and got ours last February. We just have to figure it out now where's a shady enough spot to plant it 8)
lucienc

Post by lucienc »

It was under the shade netting at the palm center, but I guess they could have had them out before. I'm thinking of putting it in the new planter just behind it in the pic. Its shady all summer, as the wisteria will be in full leaf. I will make sure I make the area snail and slug proof.

Thanks

LC
lucienc

Post by lucienc »

And as for the name, before anyone asks, its not copying Dave - lol

Monday night I got a phone call that my grandad was ill, so offered to drive mum upto Surrey to see him. En-route we had the call that he had died. I decided then to go to the palm center to get something nice that he would have liked, and to try my best to give it a good home.

Having looked at how strong the sun was on it lunchtime today in the "shade" of the back garden, I might have to reconsider, and put it out the front in the permi-shade of the house.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

lucienc wrote:It was under the shade netting at the palm center,
LC
Yes, saw them on Saturday... a row to the left as you walk down to the Big Phoenix canariensis_CIDP. Did you see the recently planted huge Ceroxylon? About 35 - 40 feet tall. It was at the back, the other side of the greenhouses to the car park. It will be interesting to see how it does as the PC is in a bit of a frost pocket.
:wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Adrian »

Nice touch with the name Lucien, hope it grows well for you.
Im the same as Dave, never had mine touched by slugs or snails although its the first thing everyone says, they are slug magnets.