Colocasia Black Magic Water Feature

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Colocasia Black Magic Water Feature

Post by Dave Brown » Sat Aug 11, 2007 7:50 pm

My conservatory is very hot in summer, even in this indifferent year. Temps nearly always reach 30C and on occasion 40C and above. The problem with this heat is the atmosphere gets very dry, which is ideal for Red Spider Mite (Red Spider Mite). The end result is the conservatory is not good for people and most plants. :cry:

Back at the beginning of July I bought a water feature which is an epoxy resin half barrel with a smaller half barrel waterfall run with a tiny pump. The aim was to try and maintain a higher humidity. :wink:

I set it up and it looked a bit plain, so had the idea of putting a Colocasia Black Magic in the barrel. I thought it would make the feature more interesting and at the same time Black Magic seem to do well planted in water with plenty of heat. :)

I was not sure if the BM would suffer Red Spider Mite the same as normal so it was a bit of an experiment.

I'll let you judge for yourself how you think it has done.

pic 4th July 2007
040707 Water feature.jpg
5 1/2 weeks later pic 11th August 2007
110807 Black Magic water feature 004.jpg
Red Spider Mite has been kept at bay, even with temps reaching 40.8C on one occasion.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

SteveW

Post by SteveW » Sun Aug 12, 2007 3:36 pm

They certainly seem to like where they are,they've shot up.Bonus about the Red Spider Mite too :)
I've had to start misting my greenhouse recently because of these little blighters.Even some of plants elsewhere in the garden too.Mainly on the decking though.Probably because its hot and dry.
Still I think I've got em pretty much under control this year,well compared to previous years anyway.
Steve

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown » Sat Sep 08, 2007 7:36 pm

Monthly update on the Colocasia Black Magic water feature. 8)

It obviously likes the environment, and having been planted in the barrel for 9 weeks still no sign of Red Spider Mite. Growth is more leaf size and the number of pups which are all growing well. I currently have to top the water up every few days, which amounts to around 9 litres per week.

The difficult bit will be in October when I would normally start to hold back on watering. It will need to come out of the barrel and into a drip tray to allow the top to dry out a bit.

Still the experiment has worked so far. This Black Magic is the best I have grown, and at the same time is helping to keep the humidity up in the conservatory, so it is happy and so are the other plants.
080907 Black Magic water feature.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

SteveW

Post by SteveW » Sun Sep 23, 2007 3:12 pm

How're they doing now Dave?
Mines been outside since May next to the Basjoo,so it gets watered and fed quite regularly.So I'd like to compare how its fared against other 'Black magics'

old pic(almost a month ago)

newest pic I can find,with the burgundy stem and fontanessii in front.
I don't seem to be infested with Red Spider Mite this year either,probably more down to the weather this summer than anything that I would've done.Although the fontanessii had some on and that was in the pond.
Other than that a few isolated spots here and there in the greenhouse,but quickly got rid of by wiping them off with my fingers.
Steve

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown » Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:45 am

Steve, your planted out Black Magic has done rather better than mine. Mine is also next to a basjoo but not quite as close. It is also planted with 2 Tesco Eddoes which have done well and maybe swamped the Black Magic. With the shade cast by the basjoo and Eddoes it has been rather slow. It got too dry a week or so ago and the leaves crisped around the edges.

This was it back at the end of July.
280707 Black Magic bed.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

SteveW

Post by SteveW » Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:35 pm

Took a pic today,as it looks bigger than I thought.

Incidently if you lok at the leaf on the bottomright corner you may see some odd chunks missing.
These aren't caused by slugs,caterpillars or even escaped leaf cutter ants but by my youngest son,yet more evidence of his growing gardening abilities :lol: :lol: :lol:
Steve