Tangerine from seed

JakoMonster

Tangerine from seed

Post by JakoMonster »

Has anyone eve germinated and grew a tangerine tree from seed ? if so can you tell me how germinate and grow them
Leigh

Re: Tangerine from seed

Post by Leigh »

To be honest mate i just shoved a few of the pips in some of the indoor plants a few Xmas's ago for a laugh and two came up :lol: the misses pulled one out thinking it was a weed in the front room plant :cry: , but the one in the bathroom is still going and in-fact i re-potted on its own this year and boy did it have some roots strange yellow colour as-well, it's now about 18inches tall i'll get a pic later

I have read that most wont come true or produce fruit and if they do it may take about 7 yrs too
Leigh
fieldfest

Post by fieldfest »

i grew an orange seed but got bored with its slow growth and binned it
JakoMonster

Post by JakoMonster »

Well my seed has germinated but something weird has happend, the the seed has split apart but the each half has roots and and the premature leaves so basically i will have 2 plants that have come from one seed i'm not sure at all what has happened does anyone know ? icon_scratch
flounder

Post by flounder »

you've got twins Jack!
same sort of thing as two yolks in an egg icon_thumright
Las Palmas Norte

Post by Las Palmas Norte »

Nearly all citrus from seed varies from the parent plant, and takes considerable time, sometimes 20 years or more to flower and set fruit. One exception would be key lime, and it is quite possible to grow it from seed to a fruiting shrub in a few years.
Grafting known stock onto a root stock is typically the way citrus is grown.

Cheers, Barrie.
daftbanana

Post by daftbanana »

Here's my pic of 4 nectarine plants. They seem to have grown quite well and germinated very easily back in spring.
Attachments
IMG032.jpg
Chad

Post by Chad »

Now two seeds from one pip is exciting. ‘Nucellar embryony’ is widespread in Citrus, and at least one of the seedlings will be a clone of the parent. If you grow both on to fruiting stage, at least one of them should fruit like its parent.

Chad.
JakoMonster

Post by JakoMonster »

Chad wrote:Now two seeds from one pip is exciting. ‘Nucellar embryony’ is widespread in Citrus, and at least one of the seedlings will be a clone of the parent. If you grow both on to fruiting stage, at least one of them should fruit like its parent.

Chad.
So does that mean i will have 2 tangerine plants ?
JakoMonster

Post by JakoMonster »

daftbanana wrote:Here's my pic of 4 nectarine plants. They seem to have grown quite well and germinated very easily back in spring.
how did you germinate them ?
Scott Radford

Post by Scott Radford »

I have a miniature orange tree - fruit bitter so only suitable for marmalade etc, and a kumquat. We just let the fruit off of them fall down onto the pots. Very pleasingly one fruit off each has actually rooted via the seeds within and we have a tiny one of each tree growing in the pot alongside the parent plants now :D icon_thumright
Darlo Mark

Post by Darlo Mark »

I have a 3 year old lemon tree grown from a supermarket lemon pip!
Chad

Post by Chad »

JakoMonster wrote:
So does that mean i will have 2 tangerine plants ?
It means one of them should be the same as the parent plant, and the other one might be [or might be pollinated and so probably inferior].

But you'll have to grow them both to fruiting to know which is which!

Chad.