Looking for my last (large) Trachycarpus

Tom2006

Looking for my last (large) Trachycarpus

Post by Tom2006 »

I have decided to buy one more Trachycarpus Fortunei but a decent sized one. There is a two trunked (although the trunk isn't that large probably 2' and 1' trunks with overall height of about 5') at my local place for £110. Before I take the plunge is there anywhere else I could be looking to get a good sized Fortunei from, it would have to be delivered unless in the yorkshire area.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
Trudytropics

Re: Looking for my last (large) Trachycarpus

Post by Trudytropics »

That sounds a good deal Tom for the price, only other one I found was Seagrave single 5'6" - 5'10" with 50cm trunk for £125 plus £16.99 delivery. I'd personally go for the one you spotted, the doubles on ebay are really pricy.
kata

Post by kata »

http://www.tropicalcentre.com/palm-tree ... i-fat.html

You need to see about shipping Tom but worth a look.

Several sizes available, up to €425

I too am going back to Michael next month for another. I have to find him first :mrgreen: :mrgreen: You cauld probably get a doubler from him.

RedS where is Michael's site I lost it..thanks!!
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Why not drop Jas a PM and see what he can do for you Tom?

His thick trunked Trachys were popular at £75 earlier this year and I'm sure he'll have some bargains in stock.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Thanks for the suggestions! icon_salut

Sorry Google....who is Jas? :oops:
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Vilagio Verde:

WEBSITE

HTUK Profile/PM

;)
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

GoggleboxUK wrote:Vilagio Verde:

WEBSITE

HTUK Profile/PM

;)
icon_thumleft
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Try akamba in solihull. They have some nice thick trunk, fortunei and they will deliver. I bought a 4ft 2inch trunk with a massive healthy crown for £295 2wks ago. karl.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

karl66 wrote:Try akamba in solihull. They have some nice thick trunk, fortunei and they will deliver. I bought a 4ft 2inch trunk with a massive healthy crown for £295 2wks ago. karl.
Made by me in Brasil :D
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

£295!!

:shock:

I don't care how good it's suntan was, that'd need to be half price for me to even consider it....... hey, don't Akamba have a half price sale coming up?

:lol:
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

GoggleboxUK wrote:£295!!

:shock:

I don't care how good it's suntan was, that'd need to be half price for me to even consider it....... hey, don't Akamba have a half price sale coming up?

:lol:
You pay for what you get, thin trunk bad roots = cheap
Fat trunk big crown = quality
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

I'm not disputing the quality of your palms Nigel, I just think that's a lot to splash out on one Trachycarpus.

I got 2 of these big ones and the double trunker in the pic for £300 earlier this year:

I know Akamba have to stick their profit margins on top but I bet the cost price is a different story.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

I think its a fair price given the wholesale price, transport costs and 20% vat included.
For that price it needs to be a quality plant, smaller ones with around 1 to 2 foot of trunk are much cheaper and you could probably buy 3 of the size 50cm trunk for that price.
I was looking on ebay and there is similar size ones for 320 quid that have hardly any leaves and ugly trunks.
karl66

Post by karl66 »

I shopped around and could not find a better deal for such a good palm. Its thick all the way up but has a little bend , where the fonds are putting more pressure on the one side. I was told these come from mountain areas in northern italy. karl.
Attachments
001 (480x640).jpg
002 (480x640).jpg
003 (480x640).jpg
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

:shock: No thats not one of mine, it must be italian, maybe Akamba sold all mine, they were even fatter !