August photos

Adam D

August photos

Post by Adam D »

I managed to take some photos the weekend before last when the sun was shining and I thought I would share them with you.

Front garden with a Viburnum cinnamomifolium in the foreground which was planted this year and I am looking to seeing it grow over time.

I have given up on tree ferns and this is my replacement a Hydrangea aspera macrophylla, it seems to have settled in well and I am looking forward to seeing it grow over the next few years.

The front garden is north-facing and this shot was early afternoon and you can see where the shade is (glad I cut the hedge recently!)

Back garden and a shot of my west border

Another shot which shows how much it has grown over the years and it is great that you can only just see the fence

Bottom right hand corner of the garden and you can see that the Rodgersia and Astilboides have enjoyed the weather this summer

Darmera peltata has enjoyed the weather as well and I am pleased that my Semiarundinaria fastuosa has made a pretty good recovery after being 75% defoliated this winter

Looking to the bottom left hand corner with grasses and bamboo

Arty shot of my Metasequoia glyptostroboides from below

The decking and surrounding planting - my family and I really enjoy getting the garden furniture out to enjoy a BBQ up here

Small, but perfectly performed - my first T rex

My Paulownia was slow to grow this year, but it has grown reasonably well and it has not been very windy and as a result the leaves still look pretty good :)

Another view back to the bottom right hand corner of the garden

sanatic1234

Re: August photos

Post by sanatic1234 »

We need a like button on here. :lol: very nice adam icon_thumleft
lee-ann

Post by lee-ann »

Looking good .. love the bamboo and grasses area icon_thumleft
bobbyd44

Post by bobbyd44 »

yes looks great.. some good growth can tell the plants are settled..
Simba

Post by Simba »

Bamboo & Grasses are very much, my cup of tea Adam.. icon_thumleft , but what is the grass in the centre of pic#9, looks like a Miscanthus.... icon_scratch
Trudytropics

Post by Trudytropics »

Adam, really lovely garden, it looks so mature, front and back gardens are both beautiful. Well done, goes to show what can be acheived despite how much colder it must be up there icon_thumleft
simon

Post by simon »

Lovely pics Adam. I like your garden, you grow my kind of plants and they all look very healthy. Your impatiens omeiana looks very tall, mine doesn't grow like that. Also your Darmera has bigger leaves than mine, it must get plenty of water.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Rogersia pic onwards is a quality jungle look! Bamboos are fantastic. Arty tree is great too.

I think i built up a really sparse looking picture in my head when you always say how bad the weather is up there. Im shocked how good its looking LOL
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Very impressive gardens Adam.

Kudos to you for proving that geographical location odesn't mean exotics can't be grown. I don't think you'd have any trouble convincing any of us that you were based down south.

icon_thumright

If Simba is correct, as I suspect he is, and that is Miscanthus might I ask how old it is? It looks quite young and I would expect it to spread massively next year unless you've provided a root barrier?

I'm only asking because I'm intending to plant some next Spring.

;)
Nigel Fear

Post by Nigel Fear »

You often complain about the severity of your winters up there Adam, and I don't envy those, but I do envy how lush some of your ground covering stuff is looking now in the height of summer, plants like your Astilboides, that drift of ferns, Impatiens omeiana and Rodgersia.
They really sit there perfectly.
:D
simon

Post by simon »

GoggleboxUK wrote:If Simba is correct, as I suspect he is, and that is Miscanthus might I ask how old it is? It looks quite young and I would expect it to spread massively next year unless you've provided a root barrier?
Miscanthus are totally uninvasive and don't need root barrier. They bulk up slowly and any unwanted spread can be easily dug out.
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

very nice icon_thumleft
Dim

Post by Dim »

lovely garden! .... what's the name of the 2 ferns in the 2nd photo?
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Glad to see the garden is looking so good after all the appalling weather you've had. Nice and lush icon_thumright Unfortunately, I can't share the enthusiasm for Bamboo, that others have following losing my battle to control it, and eventually having to dig it all out.... but if it is not delinquent for you, it's a nice jungly backdrop.

Glad to see how hardy Brunnera 'Jack Frost' is. It is evergreen here and with the forget me not flowers in spring has to be one of the best all rounders for the UK. What is the big round leaved thing above the Brunnera?

I recall you said you had no room for a greenhouse, but that deck is crying out for temporary polytunnel over the worst of winter. SteveW has one he puts up on his deck for overwintering. :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
simon

Post by simon »

Dave Brown wrote:What is the big round leaved thing above the Brunnera?
That is Astilboided tabularis, Dave. Still looking nice and green too. Mine has had more direct sun since my neighbour removed some trees and as a result it starts to look rather tired by now.