Nuts about Jungles - The Blog

Kristen

Re: Nuts about Jungles - The Blog

Post by Kristen »

JungleNuts wrote:And persevere we shall matey :)
Had some new babies turn up in the post today ... 3 Begonia Luxurians:
Will they/did you root them in water? or do they just happen to be standing in glasses?

I've got one I over wintered, if rooting them is that easy I'll chop the tops of them to bulk them up icon_thumleft
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

I have a small one I got from a kind member on here......not sure about it yet as they are not winter hardy I belive !!
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
JungleNuts

Post by JungleNuts »

They turned up as little plug plants, and I popped them in the glasses to give them a wee drink and keep em upright until i plant them :wink:

I'm no expert on these (and most other things!) but there are numerous threads on here about them .... see here for more info on other forum members experiences with Luxurians:

http://www.hardytropicals.co.uk/forum/v ... +luxurians

icon_study icon_study icon_study :D
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

Thanks - I should have thought to try a search here first :oops: :oops: :oops:

Hadn't really thought of propagating them this Spring, but I'll have a read, it would be good to have more than just the one plant :)
JungleNuts

Post by JungleNuts »

Been a bit of a mad year so far, two family bereavements has meant that the garden has taken a back seat .... but we are trying to get back to normality .... and get the jungle in shape ...
To start with, an overhead shot taken on a wet and windy June day ...
Overhead June 8th_Web.jpg
The large Ensete's in the centre island have taken a beating, as have the 2 large Trachycarpus's, and our lotus nana's that would normally have centre stage are DOA :( the ravanea palm's are still safe in the house, but will be going out soon if the forecasts are to be believed ... but overall not too bad with the minimal tidy up (15 large bags of garden cuttings and clean up !!!!)

The hosta's and acer's are slightly happier with the current climate ....
Outside Kitchen_Web.jpg
Although this year we really DO need to sort out the paving / flooring outside the kitchen ...

Started to change the sunnier border in the garden, with some new yucca's and assorted plants (salvia - not exotic but matches the colour scheme) with palm grass and awaiting the canna's to grow in the middle to compliment the yellow stem boo ...
New Planting_In Progress 2_Web.jpg
Should look ok (weather permitting) when it all grows alongside the magnolia, yucca and red dragon persicaria .... and another view ...
New Planting_In Progress_Web.jpg
We have musa's to put back in there as well, although they arent looking too hot at the moment .....
Finally, after a trip to Urban Jungle .... have a new baby which will go into the sunnier border ...
Kalopanax_Web.jpg
She will go further back in the border, behind the Euphorbia 'Fireglow' and Edgeworthia Chrysanta as seen in the photo .... with various aroids popping up between. We also have a Liriodendron Tulipifera 'Tulip Tree' to place in the same border, but need to work out the where best to place ....

Still looking for some meaty Trachycarpus's to replace to that can be seen in the overhead photo, but that will go hand in hand with completing the extension of the raised beds into the concreted area .... soooo much to do, and we are already on the cusp of summer ... apparently !!! :wink:

So its a long way from finished, but standing looking up to the back of the garden looks like this ....
Garden Rear View_Web.jpg
Looks a wee bit messy, but theres plenty to change and plant .... lost alot of the stock plants this year, even the hardier ones (anyone else had severe phormium death or poor performance from normally hardcore plants??) .... must be the odd climate conditions ..... seeing very strange growth / survival / death rates from our organic friends .... but our attention is now to getting the jungle back on track ....

Will post more piccies as we transform the remaining space over the next few weeks ...

R
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

Looking fabulous Jungle Nuts and masses amount of different plants icon_cheers

Messy? Where's it messy :lol: All I see is a great garden. Your Setaria palmifolia, I seen it peeping out amongst the other foliage, how did you overwinter it? Did it keep the leaves over Winter?

Sorry to hear about your bereavements :(
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.
pdid

Post by pdid »

Another garden I`ve looked at and admired but never commented for some reason icon_scratch

Anyway you obviously have the knack of knitting different foilage textures together, last year was superb and i`m looking forward to seeing this year develop icon_thumleft
Kerinsian

Post by Kerinsian »

Absolutely gorgeous! :D
Andy P

Post by Andy P »

pdid wrote:Another garden I`ve looked at and admired but never commented for some reason icon_scratch

Anyway you obviously have the knack of knitting different foilage textures together, last year was superb and i`m looking forward to seeing this year develop icon_thumleft
Ditto pdid. I`ve just spent the last hour or two googling some of the plants that ` Junglenuts` has used. Made a list of a few that i`ll definitely be getting. The Pleioblastus veriagatus is a Must Have. Fantasic garden Jungle icon_thumleft
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

looks great so far icon_thumleft icon_thumleft
JungleNuts

Post by JungleNuts »

Thks folks .... no chance to do any more out there today (bloody wind) but hopeful that we'll get some gaps in the weather this coming week .... although the forecast aint too pretty :shock:
DiCasS wrote:Your Setaria palmifolia, I seen it peeping out amongst the other foliage, how did you overwinter it? Did it keep the leaves over Winter?
As for your question DiCasS - The existing setaria clumps were overwintered in the ground, with a good mulch and upturned bucket over the top for good measure .... they are just poking back through now ..... we have purchased another to backfill whilst the original's wake from their slumber .... but I dont think that this years weather has been great for this type of exotic .... all seem a little slow to start ....
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Looking wonderful!! Sorry to hear about the bereavements.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
photonbucket

Post by photonbucket »

Superb garden in a compact space. I am moving to a smallish garden and this gives me some real inspiration. I like the all season back bone combined with seasonal interest. Brilliant, well done! icon_thumright
JungleNuts

Post by JungleNuts »

Well been doing some serious culling of boo's and other plants .... needed to relocate a tree fern, and get the ravanea's outdoors ... had to trim some of the arching nigra boo's but there's plenty of fat culm's waiting in the wings :D
Rear Garden_Web.jpg
We haven't planted out the more tender exotics yet (philodendrum's and calathea REALLY don't like the blustery weather of late!) .... but in terms of a green palette we have the backdrop .... a little closer view of the seating area at the back of the garden .....
Rear Garden_Close_Web.jpg
And the view at ground level from nearer the house ...
Up Garden_Web.jpg
We have suffered from serious winds the last week or so, and the Ensete's have been well and truly hammered, but the T'Rex is looking good ..... still looking for some replacement Trachie's for those in the foreground, but damn mature trunked specimen's are expensive ....
Still waiting for Canna's, Musa and various Aroid's to put on some growth but it's early day's yet .... otherwise they would be visible in this shot.
Finger's crossed that the weather improves ..... and we can get the Ricinus, Echium and various tender exotics out in the garden ..... now just need to find the space :D
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Gorgeous as always Nuts, superb pics!

;)