Curved trunk experiment. To try or not to try?

GoggleboxUK

Re: Curved trunk experiment. To try or not to try?

Post by GoggleboxUK »

That's an incredible picture.

I can imagine stringing a hammock in the centre of that clump and enjoying the sun.

icon_thumleft
Ben Candlin

Post by Ben Candlin »

JungleJames, that picture is amazing! I wonder if the palms are regular trachycarpus fortunei with part stripped trunks, or if they are something else?

The stripped trunk really does help with the look. Beautiful!
Las Palmas Norte

Post by Las Palmas Norte »

At that point, they don't look like Trachycarpus anymore. Great pic.

Cheers, Barrie.
Junglejames

Post by Junglejames »

They are Trachycarpus fortunei but I remember seeing seedlings on the market listed as being "Naples" strain, although there are countless strains and variants of fortunei I really have no idea what the difference is with most, and seeing as seed is cross pollinated I would think much seed isnt quite what its meant to be even if there was a difference in the first place....

The Italians do love their palms though and in the northern states Trachycarpus is very reliable and popular because it can get chilly in the winter. Im sure I read the only true mature Takil in Europe at least is in Rome, so I could imagine the Italians have sourced Trachycarpus for a long time and will have some very desirable plants there.

One thing I noticed in the photo, the palms are tall but the leaves look undamaged - normally in this country when they get to an awesome height, you trade height for high winds.

Going back to the curved trunk question, I think a small curvature at the base of the trunk, and some management of the fibre of the lower trunk looks good, with it kept higher up to create a petticoat look (like washingtonia filifera is often seen). I like the palms in lawn look too, I notice a lot of people plant palms at the back of borders but in palm-climate countries they are often planted in the centre of lawns which makes sense seeing as a palm with trunk costs so much money.
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

JakoMonster wrote:in southsea common there is trachycarpus that is curved and leaning
Yep, this one. Though it looks very ratty & is curved as it has to endure force 9 gales off the channel :lol: