Ricinus id please

tropical Tom

Ricinus id please

Post by tropical Tom »

Right, I bought some ricinus seeds last winter, big success, but what type are they?
SDC10848.JPG
SDC10848.JPG (64.19 KiB) Viewed 645 times
SDC10850.JPG
SDC10850.JPG (56.59 KiB) Viewed 645 times
icon_scratch
flounder

Re: Ricinus id please

Post by flounder »

top one looks like impala
Ian Cooke

Post by Ian Cooke »

Not sure but upper one looks like 'Carmencita Red' and lower one 'Zanzibarensis'
Springy

Post by Springy »

I would say top one is "impala" and bottom one is "Zanzibarensis"
tropical Tom

Post by tropical Tom »

ok thanks guys, I'm going to try to harvest the seed for next spring, the impala must have about 100 pods each containing four seeds icon_cheers Can cuttings be taken from them? If so maybe I could keep a couple going over winter in the conservatory.
icon_salut
Springy

Post by Springy »

I have never heard of ricin taking from cuttings but they grow so easily from seed it's best to sow them fresh each year. Save the space in the conservatory for plants that really need protecting!
I cut off the seed pods as a group, just before the first frosts and allow them to dry on their own before breaking the seed out.
Last year some seeds dropped in my border and self-sowed themselves! I had to thin them out as they came up in the spring and after last winter, I was amazed!
dave2166

Post by dave2166 »

just treat them as an annual.... seeds is cheap they grow real quick ...

i agree, top one is carmencita, bottom zanzibar.... its a bronzey hue to the green colour
flounder

Post by flounder »

the leaves don't appear dark enough for carmencita, plus I'm growing impala and that what mine looks in piccie 1