phorniums protection

Mr List

phorniums protection

Post by Mr List »

so what can be done with these in winter?
stephenprudence

Re: phorniums protection

Post by stephenprudence »

shouldnt really need it.

Everyone is understandably assuming this winter will be the next "Lorna Doone", but generally Phormiums are hardy as nails, and 95% of the time will be fine without protection.
Adam D

Post by Adam D »

stephenprudence wrote:shouldnt really need it.

Everyone is understandably assuming this winter will be the next "Lorna Doone", but generally Phormiums are hardy as nails, and 95% of the time will be fine without protection.
Depends where you live Stephen.

Just read your "95% of the time will be fine without protection", so I forgive you :P

The big problem over the last two winters has been heavy snowfall causing them mechanical damage, which then makes them look horrible for a long time.

Normal snowfall, say up to 6 inches per snowfall, is okay with a thaw fairly soon afterwards.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

All the phormiums up here died back last winter BUT virtually all have grown back. None had protection. A good mulch won't hurt along with knocking off any snow
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

You could have a loop of string around and pull it up when weather gets very cold, pulling the leaves together. A fleece jacket as well over smaller plants.
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

so only needs protection in colder than usual stuff?
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Yes, a "normal" winter shouldnt bother them at all.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

saying we dont get prolonged periods of zero or lower
what one off night time low temperature forcast would make you consider protection?

under -5?
Rachelpalm

Post by Rachelpalm »

Hello
I have diff kinds and about 30 odd in my garden, green, red, black, yellow, pink etc and every single one sailed through last winter ok. The black and purple ones had no damage at all and the yellow ones had a few brown leaves etc which have now grown out. Also have a few pink ones where the leaves got damaged but soon recovered. It depends on where they are and how old they are etc, size which will help. Very small ones could have fleece put over them during snow and frosty weather. Ones I planted last June in my back garden were all black and had no damage at all on them and they were £14.99 each when I bought them, so not too small. I have just planted( end August) about 6 black phormiums out front which are growing well and should hopefully get through winter ok, but I will keep an eye on them and rush out if need be and cover them in fleece if weather gets too cold. I have seen a few dead phormuims about which were killed off last winter, but they were more inland( I live near the sea).

So normally large ones should be totally fine. New ones planted this year may need protection, especially the coloured ones, yellow etc.
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

i think i have a good alround idea on what to do with one now :DD icon_thumleft