Bringing pots in the house - bugs/insects/beetles/worms etc

cordyman

Bringing pots in the house - bugs/insects/beetles/worms etc

Post by cordyman »

I've got various plants i'm considering brining in the house and putting in the south facing empty front bedroom.

I see a lot mention the bugs the warmth will bring out.

Has anyone actually brought plants indoors and experienced a bug invasion? icon_scratch
Deedee

Re: Bringing pots in the house - bugs/insects/beetles/worms

Post by Deedee »

I brought a Banana into my bedroom 2years ago and had no problems with bugs, Im bringing in 6 colocasia soon but im going to spray them first with Provado ultimate bug spray which incidently has 75% off at wilkies, I paid over £4.00 early summer and today i paid £1 14p, also Glyphosate weed killer 99p instead of £3.98 icon_thumleft
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

Yes i have cordyman, i have had a bad case of compost flies last year and they are such a git to get rid of! Fungus flies they are called also known as gnats. they live for 5 days but in that time lay there eggs like crazy in the compost and they just keep on coming back. This year all my potted plants will be getting a good dose of provado before they even enter my house for storage.
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

Deedee wrote:I brought a Banana into my bedroom 2years ago and had no problems with bugs, Im bringing in 6 colocasia soon but im going to spray them first with Provado ultimate bug spray which incidently has 75% off at wilkies, I paid over £4.00 early summer and today i paid £1 14p, also Glyphosate weed killer 99p instead of £3.98 icon_thumleft
2 bottles for £6 at B&Q not so long back :)
kata

Post by kata »

My advice Cordy to prevent flies etc,

Repot. I am just preparing my palm seedling for indoors. First the new compost, then top that with tiny stones and spray with Pravado before bringing them in.
Yes i have cordyman, i have had a bad case of compost flies last year
I was waiting for that San... :lol: :lol:

We both had the horrid flies, I remember yours were worse than mine though.

I think Di said the warmth wakes bugs up.

icon_cheers
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

How you know me kata, it was a very distressing time in my life :lol: :lol: :lol: the little gits lol
kata

Post by kata »

Yea San,

We learnt a lesson San.....both of us thats why I changed compost before they enter the home. Luckily the flower plants I bought are those that will die down anyway and return next year.. I bought those planning not to spend as much money next year as this.

The blue and the white Bacupas you see in hanging baskets are in the Cycas and the fortunei waiting to be protected by fleece, too early yet.
So in fact the only ones to come in are palm seedling in new compost and little stone topping. About six I believe.

icon_cheers icon_cheers
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

I have so much to do yet, i need to pick up my new batch of compost, 6 x 60ltr bags for £10.00 but i can not track any perlite as all shops in my town have stopped stocking gardening stock now till next year and the shop im getting my compost from don't sell perlite. :-( i need some biggish bags of perlite really as im too going to change compost on most plants.
Ste

Post by Ste »

sanatic1234 wrote: i need some biggish bags of perlite really as im too going to change compost on most plants.
Look on ebay, loads on there. This seems about the best offer - 2 x 100ltr bags of perlite £25 plus a tenner shipping. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PERLITE-MULTI ... 4aadf0bd6c
kata

Post by kata »

I would never have thought of Ebay for soil etc,

I had to wait an age for my son to have space to take me to Hombase for grit and two different types of compost..damn could have ordered some to be delivered.

Thanks for the option Ste!

San, take care with the Perlite /Vermiculite, do the mixing outdoors.

:roll: :roll:
derrick

Post by derrick »

I had the same as San compost flies all my plants outside now house plants included .All will be back in slowly repoting the lot cleaning roots of bugs
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

Ste wrote:
sanatic1234 wrote: i need some biggish bags of perlite really as im too going to change compost on most plants.
Look on ebay, loads on there. This seems about the best offer - 2 x 100ltr bags of perlite £25 plus a tenner shipping. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PERLITE-MULTI ... 4aadf0bd6c
not a bad price ste for the perlite, the P&P is a shocking price to be honest. But i may have to go for it as i can not track any anywhere else and i need it for my plants im lifting.
musa_monkey

Post by musa_monkey »

sanatic1234 wrote:
Ste wrote:
not a bad price ste for the perlite, the P&P is a shocking price to be honest. But i may have to go for it as i can not track any anywhere else and i need it for my plants im lifting.
That's where i buy mine. Postage may be a little high but not excessive compared to some. If you want one bag this may be a better option.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100-Litres-Si ... 648wt_1392
Ste

Post by Ste »

Thats a lot for 1 bag, might aswell pay the extra £9.36 and get another 100ltr bag
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

kata wrote:
San, take care with the Perlite /Vermiculite, do the mixing outdoors.

:roll: :roll:
I always do kata all the mixing gets done in my shed, i have work top in my shed for potting up with the mixes sat underneath it. I refuse to use vermiculite due to it being rubbish results everytime. :roll: Thank you for the advice though, i know vermiculite is dangerous stuff with there being traces of asbestos in it.