Cycads germination

jungle jas

Cycads germination

Post by jungle jas »

Hi,
Have just sprouted some cycas revoluta seed, but what do I do with them? Advise on soil watering and temperature and any other tips you can think of over winter would be much appreciated as I have not grown them before.
Regards Jason.
michael0512

Re: Cycads germination

Post by michael0512 »

Hi jason

Did you germinate them in a tray or pots??..If tray was used wait till root is 5/7cm long before you pot them..Pots of 12/15cm in depth is fine. They will still need a temp of 24/28c if possible to promote root growth and produce their first leaf..Once they have formed their first leaf and it has fully hardened off you need to cut back on watering otherwise they can develop root rot..

When potting use 50/50% Compost/perlite mix...to insure the best start for your seedlings you can also take the required amount of compost needed and microwave for 10/12min this will kill any bacteria/grubs in the compost..(They are lots of them in there!). During winter months a south facing window sill is perfect for your new seedlings..water well and leave soil dry out for 2/3 weeks and repeat..Do not allow your seedlings to stand in water for long periods!

If you have a tall propagator you can of course encourage growth all year round if you have overhead grow lights..

Regards
Michael
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Have a look on the EPS and ask Mike, he's germinated thousands.
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

Hi,
Michael to answer your question I sprouted them in poly bags in sandy soil without heat, thank you for your tips I'm sure they will be a big help. Adrian I will try ESP.
Many thanks to you both. Jas.
Rabbie

Post by Rabbie »

I planted mine in, 40% John innis No2, 40% Multipurpose compost and 20% perlite mix. Planted the seed pointy end down half buried. Two of these seed took only one week to pop, popping around mid June.
Attachments
Cycadsrevoluta.jpg
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

I planted my two cycad dioon in 70% sharp sand and 30% compost and they are growing lovely. I need to re-pot them for the second time this year before they come inside. The roots have reached the bottom of the pots already. :-) I have had a flush each year as well for the past two years i have been growing them, i don't know if this is common for seedlings to do that.
michael0512

Post by michael0512 »

Hi San

Whatever you are doing its working :wink: ...Dioons can be lazy sometimes especially as young plants after been potted up when they want to root instead of producing new leaves...