I now have my syagrus romanzoffiana santa catarina

JakoMonster

Re: I now have my syagrus romanzoffiana santa catarina

Post by JakoMonster »

just checking will the trunk straighten out because it's a bit wonky and bent at the moment ?
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

It will most likely but theres nothing wrong with a bit of character in a palm trunk.
JakoMonster

Post by JakoMonster »

Adrian wrote:It will most likely but theres nothing wrong with a bit of character in a palm trunk.
for some reason i like things perfect and straight :lol:
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

Mine arrived from Amulree today separate from the rest of my order last week.I was told by the driver that it would come separately because it was 'too tall' to fit in his truck. Puzzled by the fact that it was listed as 1 to 1.5m high, shocked to see this wrapped up palm clearing 10 feet :shock:

I was going to overwinter it in my greenhouse but it's too tall, so it will now go somewhere on display in my boys' school. The classrooms are heated till April although the school hall is cooler, while the gym stays close to 15c with overhead skylighting.

I've read that Syagrus prefer rainwater (my London water is very hard).

What to do icon_scratch

Nigel :?: .......
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Greville, I wouldnt worry about the water , its a quite tolerant plant.
Which courier company delivered it ?
MikeC

Post by MikeC »

GREVILLE wrote:Mine arrived from Amulree today separate from the rest of my order last week.I was told by the driver that it would come separately because it was 'too tall' to fit in his truck. Puzzled by the fact that it was listed as 1 to 1.5m high, shocked to see this wrapped up palm clearing 10 feet :shock:

I was going to overwinter it in my greenhouse but it's too tall, so it will now go somewhere on display in my boys' school. The classrooms are heated till April although the school hall is cooler, while the gym stays close to 15c with overhead skylighting.

I've read that Syagrus prefer rainwater (my London water is very hard).

What to do icon_scratch

Nigel :?: .......
I got two from Simon in the last sale and yeah they are really tall! The leaves reach the upstairs windows. Half price, talk about a bargain!

For this reason the protection is going to have to consist of only rope lights and a few large dust sheets chucked over the top on cold days/nights.
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Mike, remember rope lights can get hot and you can burn the leaves if touching them.
I wish you luck but unless we have an easy winter then I dont hold out hope for it through winter outside in Swindon.
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

Nigel, it was delivered by a local courier company, presumably from a transfer. My boys took it in and I found it in the hallway completely wrapped in thin blue cellophane. I wonder if it was left outside in the hot sunshine for a few days as there were scorch marks on the leaves when I unwrapped it.
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

The roots of the SRSC seem to have well-filled its pot (7.5 to 10litre). If it's going to overwinter in a relatively warm school should I repot it and what would be an ideal mix for this?
MikeC

Post by MikeC »

Posted on another thread, but you can see the SR santa caterina palms below, taken today.
IMG_0620.JPG
Okay, they don't look brilliant, but they have been through another crappe summer, torrential rain, howling winds and the recent -6 or perhaps -7 outside.

I'm impressed so far.

icon_thumleft
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

If you leave those outside they will get damaged and as they only grow one leaf a year at best its mad not to get them inside.
I have successfully wintered these outside with protection, successful in that they have survived but not so in keeping them looking good.
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

if those leaves have seen -6 or -7,will they go brown like both of mine did,never even grew new leaves the following year,just all went mouldy
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

A Queen in this country aint gonna take -7c
MikeC

Post by MikeC »

redsquirrel wrote:if those leaves have seen -6 or -7,will they go brown like both of mine did,never even grew new leaves the following year,just all went mouldy
Well only time will tell I suppose they don't have that burned look like my Washy has on it's leaves.

But saying that I've had them since Summer 2011, they have been outside in late Autumn in Newcastle Upon Tyne and in winter in Swindon in pots.