Squirrel problem

billdango

Re: Squirrel problem

Post by billdango »

Iff all else fails,hurl a grenade into your neighbours garden and hopefully the problem will be solved?.
Billdango. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Troppoz

Post by Troppoz »

Which ones are your natives? The red or the grey?

Maybe try cayenne pepper? It worked when I once had a problem with possums getting into my seedlings.

Sean
Dale

Post by Dale »

I always have a fishing catapult handy - combined with a handful of frozen peas - they soon start getting the message! - effective on Wood Pigeons also which is another pet hate (excuse the pun!)
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Funny how we always hate things that show any sign of intelligence. Rats and Squirrels have a high level of ingenuity when it comes to manipulating the best out of their environment. We can't tolerate any competition :lol:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by neil22 »

Just make sure you don't mess with the wrong squirrel :lol:
Attachments
rsz_sniper-squirrel-38791.jpg
rsz_sniper-squirrel-38791.jpg (70.37 KiB) Viewed 763 times
kata

Post by kata »

Our native Squirrels should be red but since greys saw them off few are seen now,

I had quite a few grey when I lived in my other bungalow, they would run along the fence from one end of the terrace (some 40 bungalows) to the other. I hate how they become rigid under threat...like frozen in state.

If I went to shoo them they are like hares in the headlight, won't move till I do.

I once put a bird feeder on the fence before I ever saw a Squirrel, next thing I saw the damn Squirrel was eating the nuts hanging upside down.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
huporhaha

Post by huporhaha »

Nice little sign - if you live in a "grey" area........................
Attachments
Squirrel.jpg
Trudytropics

Post by Trudytropics »

Best way with dealing with squirrels is buy a trap from ebay or farm suppliers, bait with nuts. Once caught and believe me you will catch them, you MUST by law humanely dispatch them, you can not release elsewhere. The vets will put down squirrels but charge for it, easiest dispatch is in the trap with an air rifle. Once you have killed a number, they tend to get the message, others are not so keen to come into your garden. This was a regular job in our last garden, they used to steal food from our dovecote, gangs of them would turn up despite having 2 cats and a dog :lol: :lol: We had traps for moles as well :lol: I love nature also, but when its on the other side of the fence.
khaskings

Post by khaskings »

Thanks for all the replies. I think the trap is the way forward. Still winter is coming and my tenderest plants would just love a fleece of squirrel fur icon_thumleft
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

Dave,
I'm not sure eating my strawberries, peaches and grapes plus my bird food then squatting in my roof space is very clever. More like certain DEATH.
Last edited by jungle jas on Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cathy

Post by Cathy »

kohwoz wrote:Squirrels are what i need... We have Red ones, but since the house as started to be built they have all buttered off :ahhh!: Have thousands if not millions of acorns all over the place...need to get rid. Its like walking on loads golfballs, falling and slipping all over the place.... Send them my way.

Horses love to eat acorns, I believe! ...any well behaved horses / riders near you that could visit?
Cathy

Post by Cathy »

[quote="Trudytropics"]Best way with dealing with squirrels is buy a trap from ebay or farm suppliers, bait with nuts. Once caught and believe me you will catch them, you MUST by law humanely dispatch them, you can not release elsewhere. .............. quote]

When we had a problem with Squirrels in our roof (terraced house) we bought a trap and the official council pest control man told us to "release the squirrel from the trap into a sack. Hold the sack closed firmly and hit the squirrel with a stick to kill it" - He added "take care not to bash your knuckles!" - really, that's the honest truth!
We didn't have any type of gun to shoot it with. In the end we left the 'disposal' element to our neighbour.

...the squirrels used to like hiding acorns in the crowns of our Tree Ferns. :roll:
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

Another one I've heard of being done is to just put the trap underwater for 2 or 3 minutes. Not sure if that counts as humane, though.
Trudytropics

Post by Trudytropics »

It takes some courage to kill a living thing even if it is a pest. We used to shoot the squirrels, but with our doves which sometimes got badly injured, we had a resident sparrow hawk :evil: , my hubby would hit them hard with back of a spade, he never found it easy, but it was very quick. I think repeatedly hitting or indeed drowning sounds very cruel. The quickest method must be the most humane, none of us want any creature to suffer pain for minutes at a time :(
musa_monkey

Post by musa_monkey »

i live next to a wood full of the little grey tree rats. They do seem to enjoy burying all sorts in my pots which i tend to find out about in the spring. Fortunately the cat seems to have developed a taste for them so manages to keep them at bay a bit.

Trapping is probably the best option as they seem to do most of the damage early in the morning...of course what you do with them once caught is another thing :evil: