Squirrel problem

khaskings

Squirrel problem

Post by khaskings »

Our garden is between a mature walnut & hazel nut trees in a neighbours garden and what I can only describe as a squirrel colony. Whilst I adore nature, my adoration stops when 'nature' decides to bury it's nuts deep in my pots wrecking cuttings, seedlings young plants etc etc on quite a large scale. I'd like to deter them if possible, but more capital measures are not off the list.

I've tried deterrent powder with limited success (it also needs replacing after every watering ie daily). Installing a larger predator is off the list too

Any suggestions warmly welcome.

PS I had hoped that the traffic might thin them out a little, but for some reason their road safety is top notch icon_scratch
jezza

Re: Squirrel problem

Post by jezza »

I had a squirrel family arrive in my garden last year. My father in law with his air rifle sorted the problem :D
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

get a cat
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Ah I looked in wondering what Darren had done this time :lol:
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Adrian wrote:Ah I looked in wondering what Darren had done this time :lol:
:lol:

When I visited Ness Gardens they were catching them and killing them. They had quite a haul on their truck.
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

You could try one of these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-STV-Mega- ... 256630789a

There are lots of these type of devices available but steer clear of the solar powered varieties.
grub

Post by grub »

kohwoz

Post by kohwoz »

Squirrels are what i need... We have Red ones, but since the house as started to be built they have all buttered off :ahhh!: Have thousands if not millions of acorns all over the place...need to get rid. Its like walking on loads golfballs, falling and slipping all over the place.... Send them my way.
huporhaha

Post by huporhaha »

My second to last emergency stop was for an...........otter.................my last one on Wednesday was for a red squirrel at Dundonnell. The grey ones are a nuisance but I welcome the red ones!
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

They will be Grey Squirrels in SE England, we don't have Redsquirrel he's over Bristol way :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by kata »

Behave Dave...... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

And you Ade... icon_cheers
Adam D

Post by Adam D »

huporhaha wrote:My second to last emergency stop was for an...........otter.................my last one on Wednesday was for a red squirrel at Dundonnell. The grey ones are a nuisance but I welcome the red ones!
Grey ones are like rats IMO, horrible things!
huporhaha

Post by huporhaha »

Same here Adam - at least there are no grey ones up here..................just red ones.
The odd pine marten though..............they do a lot of damage!
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

I'm with jezza on this one. You can also buy a trap on ebay for around £10-00. I caught 10 this year using strawberries as bait. There was one that I could not catch, isn't there always? Hence the gun.
Regards Jason.
Trainer John

Post by Trainer John »

I have a greyhound. And a tree climbing Jack Russell. Seems to work well as a pair.

The greys are just tree rats with good PR.