Phoenix canariensis x roebelenii

Adrian

Phoenix canariensis x roebelenii

Post by Adrian » Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:42 pm

(to save going off topic on another thread)

Here is my Phoenix cross a canariensis x roebelenii, I have had this palm for 6 or 7 years now and its been planted out for the last 4 years.
It is protected each winter with a fleece tube and a heating cable and although it does get a little bit of damage it outgrows the damaged leaves quite quickly.

Its very much roebelenii like in trunk, in leaf and the fact it flowers at a young age but is bigger all around.

I am convinced that this will be one of the nicest palms that are growable here, even with the protection its proving hardier than roebelenii but I dont know by how much as Im not going to be testing it any time soon.
Its softness of leaves and its size make it fairly easy to protect through winter and it doesnt mind being wrapped up from November through to April so none of the wrapping/unwrapping hassle each time the weather changes.

Imagine such a graceful feather palm with a decent trunk and thats now starting to go skyward, even at maturity it wont swamp a small British garden unlike its mother .

I nailed my colours to the mast on this palm a long time ago and so far I have proven it can be grown.
Attachments
001 (Medium).JPG
002 (Medium).JPG
004 (Medium).JPG
005 (Medium).JPG
007 (Medium).JPG

Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Re: Phoenix canariensis x roebelenii

Post by Yorkshire Kris » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:09 pm

That's a beautiful palm and amazing that its survived considering many other harder palms have struggled in recent winters. You've obviously taken great care with it, respect. Did you grow from seed?

The Codfather

Post by The Codfather » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:13 pm

how do you drag lights all that way....they must be 30ft long. Are these cross ones esy to find.....plus I bey down where you live youre lows are a little different to most others.
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !

Adrian

Post by Adrian » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:16 pm

No I cant take the full credit for it, the Palm Centre had probably no more than 10 of these and they didnt sell very well for some reason, maybe the price tag of (I think) around £65-£70 was off putting for a small Phoenix and some were still there a year later.
That was in the days when the Palm Centre sold more interesting things.

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:20 pm

Coddy, Until last winter Ade has had colder lows than me. He is blessed with a lack of wind though, but wind in winter is sometimes good :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

The Codfather

Post by The Codfather » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:23 pm

Adrian wrote:No I cant take the full credit for it, the Palm Centre had probably no more than 10 of these and they didnt sell very well for some reason, maybe the price tag of (I think) around £65-£70 was off putting for a small Phoenix and some were still there a year later.
:(
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !

Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:27 pm

The Codfather wrote:
Adrian wrote:No I cant take the full credit for it, the Palm Centre had probably no more than 10 of these and they didnt sell very well for some reason, maybe the price tag of (I think) around £65-£70 was off putting for a small Phoenix and some were still there a year later.
:(
Hybrids are always gonna cost a bit.

Nigel

Post by Nigel » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:38 pm

Cracking little palm Adie boy , and starting to trunk nicely too.
How many leaves a year ?
You certainly proved me wrong on that one, I was sure it was a non-starter for the UK and thought you were stark raving.

kata

Post by kata » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:46 pm

Nice Ade, and well done getting it through last two severe winters,

I would like a look at the fleece tube though. It can't be this surely.

http://www.eu-pap.co.uk/6ft-fleece-tube-wrap-white.html

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:46 pm

I don't have a Phoenix canariensis_CIDP x roebelenii, but have a Phoenix canariensis_CIDP x reclinata from Vic at the EPS Kew Meet. No split leaves yet but a nice chunky palm. No idea about hardiness at this point apart from reclinata is slightly more hardy than roebelenii :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Nigel Fear

Post by Nigel Fear » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:00 pm

:mrgreen:

I want one......NOW!!! 8)

The Codfather

Post by The Codfather » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:23 pm

in the queue...........
AKA - Martin

Adrian

Post by Adrian » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:56 pm

Its not my only Phoenix hybrid :lol: as Nigel knows I had or have a bit of a thing for them :D
The 4 way cross is still the fastest and strongest looking hybrid with canariensis x reclinata not far behind.
Strangely the canariensis x dactylifera is the slow one.
I have a couple of others as well

Adrian

Post by Adrian » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:58 pm

Blimey Kate, dont you look at posts :lol:

Heres the pop up fleece tube in action, that thing you showed is more like a willy warmer :lol:
Attachments
IMG_2322 (Medium).JPG
IMG_2320 (Medium).JPG

Adrian

Post by Adrian » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:00 pm

Those pics were taken in 2008 and I didnt use heat cables that year but now tie wrap a heat cable around the canes in case they are needed