Winter Protection

Darlo Mark

Re: Winter Protection

Post by Darlo Mark »

Palm lad I've had nothing below 8 degress I really doubt you've had a frost as you are milder than Darlington.
nige pook

Post by nige pook »

Thanks Goggle for posting that link :wink: Think I might have to buy one of those polytunnels for the winter and maybe bubblewrap inside too! Unless anyone has seen any more 'bargains'? Think my tallest palm is the butia at approx 6 foot inc pot,could always sink the pot in for extra clearance.Gotta be worth it for 80 bucks! icon_thumright Sorry pounds :roll: Nige
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

:wink:
Rachelpalm

Post by Rachelpalm »

Hello
I am putting my 2 potted Musa Basjoo nanas in my garage today as I cannot lift them myself so doing it while I have the help today in daylight. Will then bring in my purple cordy and small Trachycarpus( potted this year) indoors into South facing room the start of Nov. I will put straw into the crown of my tree fern end Oct time and if weather is really bad, drag the tree fern into my garage until bad weather passes. I also have a large roll( 100m ) of fleece and loads of toggle bags fleece to put over palms etc if weather goes below about -3c . I have 2 large potted Trachycarpus's and a large Waggy which I will fleece bag during cold spells and then remove bags during better weather. If weather gets mega bad I will fleece things with the roll and then bag things just for the few days really low temps strike. Also have old sheets and duvet covers incase...Do not normally get frosts here until start of Nov. Been very mild here so far. 17c during the day and about 10c at night. Lowest temp for next 5 days is 7c.
MikeC

Post by MikeC »

Help!

Can't decide between:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3m-x-2m-Polyt ... 4840b200f3

And

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0347728328

in white.

Gazebo is 2.6,m tall in the middle which helps with my tall palms and 3m x 3m rather than 3m x 2m.

I don't think the lower light levels will be a problem and the gazebo looks easy to put up and take down and store.

Need to make a decision but not sure.

icon_scratch
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

I think it partly depends on what you are wanting to put in and for how long........
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Do you really want a UV resistant structure?
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

The Gazibo can also be used in the summer.....
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
MikeC

Post by MikeC »

GoggleboxUK wrote:Do you really want a UV resistant structure?
It will last a lot longer if it is.

Also, adding light with low energy bulbs and rope lights is not a problem and we get loads of carrots all light in the winter anyway.

Can use it in the summer too come the "BBQ" summer we are always promised.

:lol:
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

Andrew Smith wrote:Just wondering if anybody has started thinking about winter protection yet.

I will need to start remaking my Rain/Snow Shelters for my Agaves and Aloes soon.

Dig up my Ensete Maurellei.

Build the straw "dome" over my Musa Sikkimensis Red Tiger and Musella Lasiocarpa, once the first frost comes.

Looking at the "predicted" overnight temps for the next 2 weeks they seem to average about 7C, the lowest being 5C overnight on Thursday 20 Oct.
Hi Andrew, What site do you obtain your predicted temps from.
Regards Jas.
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Fair enough, it's better to have something you can use all year round. The greenhouse I've designed will be a summerhouse feature when the panels are removed and it's definitely going to be better for you if you don't have to dismantle and store each year.

As long as the main purpose of it is keeping the wet out then I think you'll be OK with the gazebo. It's going to catch a lot of ground heat if you can batten it down well enough to stop the wind getting under it.
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

seeing this.......it make me think...say for Phoenix canariensis_CIDP, Butia's etc.....buils a wooden planter .....but twin walled so in the winter you can insulate it with polystyrene to help keep it warm....you could even annd heatcables into it.
AKA - Martin

MikeC

Post by MikeC »

I went for the gazebo in the end, mostly because I'm hoping I can put up the frame and then fit and remove the cover whenever it looks like temperatures are going to be cold.

After I paid, ebay showed me a set of links, including a seller selling it cheaper.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Waterproof-Po ... 1c1e1d241b

icon_aaargh

I'll let everyone know how I get on with it as a solution.

icon_salut
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

MikeC wrote:I went for the gazebo in the end, mostly because I'm hoping I can put up the frame and then fit and remove the cover whenever it looks like temperatures are going to be cold.

After I paid, ebay showed me a set of links, including a seller selling it cheaper.

icon_salut
Ouch! £20!! Cancel the transaction and buy the other one, or ask the seller to match the price or you'll return it after receiving and still save money. He should agree to one of those options rather than waste money posting out something he knows will coime back.
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

The Codfather wrote:seeing this.......it make me think...say for Phoenix canariensis_CIDP, Butia's etc.....buils a wooden planter .....but twin walled so in the winter you can insulate it with polystyrene to help keep it warm....you could even annd heatcables into it.
Isn't wood almost as good an insulator as polystyrene anyway? Good idea though, I like it.

;)