What is the oldest plant you own?

Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

What is the oldest plant you own?

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

What is the oldest plant you own? Be it one you have had for years or one you have bought recently but is very old?

It still has to be yours an not at a former address!

For me its several cacti that I grew from seed 20 years ago.
They are still only a few inches tall!

In my current garden it's an apple tree that I planted 6 years ago. Not old I know but that how long I've lived here!

The oldest plant that I've bought is probably my Jubaea, roughly 15 years?

How about you?
Last edited by Yorkshire Kris on Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Darlo Mark

Re: What is the oldest plant you own?

Post by Darlo Mark »

Yeah similiar I have an apple tree I planted 5 years ago when we moved in.
Jo A P

Post by Jo A P »

I've got sevearl cactus that I bought 20 odd years ago as tiny plants. They never cease to amaze me. I don't plant any out as we have clay soil, but they stay out all year round even under the snow.
Attachments
DSC01375.JPG
DSC01460.JPG
Trudytropics

Post by Trudytropics »

My 2 largest box trees, I've had these for approx 16 years and have gone to three separate homes with me, they were tiny when I bought them. To replace now they'd cost over £100 each. After that 2 bay trees bought for my 40th birthday from my Dad, I'm 46 now so 6 years old they are and doing well despite our rubbish winters. :D

Fabulous cacti Jo, they must love your climate :D
Adam D

Post by Adam D »

I still have the first outdoor plant I bought 15 years ago and that is an Acer palmatum dissectum.

This is the 4th garden it has been in now.
robbie44

Post by robbie44 »

Have a 20 year old acer griseum in a large pot, so far been to three houses icon_thumright
billdango

Post by billdango »

The oldest plant in my garden is a 30 foot T Fortuni planted in 1976.
The forunner of many others.
rgds billdango. :D :D :D :D
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

Trudytropics wrote:My 2 largest box trees, I've had these for approx 16 years and have gone to three separate homes with me, they were tiny when I bought them. To replace now they'd cost over £100 each. After that 2 bay trees bought for my 40th birthday from my Dad, I'm 46 now so 6 years old they are and doing well despite our rubbish winters. :D

Fabulous cacti Jo, they must love your climate :D
I bet you look\act 21 :wink:
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
kata

Post by kata »

My old Acer of course,

She must be coming up to 15 now and still reaching for the stars...

.....She has put a lot of growth this year...amazing tree.

She needs a good feed I think, maybe cut out some dead wood too.

icon_cheers icon_cheers Go gurl icon_cheers icon_cheers
huporhaha

Post by huporhaha »

I'm not sure if these count but I have 3 perennials which have moved with me wherever I have gone. They originally came from my grandmother's garden in Norfolk in the 1950s so the plants I now have are descendants or divisions.
1) Devon Violets
2) Double white arabis
3) Asters - Michaelmas Daisies
Ian Cooke

Post by Ian Cooke »

Not sure if this counts as its no longer in my garden. This Musa basjoo was given to me about 1990. A friend in Torquay gave it to me. It lived in my nursery in Cornwall for a while and then came to Nottingham. It was too big for my garden there and so was planted out at the University where I used to work. Its still there, survived last winter and the pic below shows it this last summer.
Attachments
Musa basjoo 2011-qpr.jpg
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

I honestly don't know.

I have a Dracenaea that I have had for 7 years indoors and an 8 year old Manupur that I bought this year but maybe my Jubaea or Brahea is older than that?
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

I'd love to say I've got an old gnarly tree in my garden, but sadly when we arrived here didn't have any tree worth keeping :(

Members with trunked Yuccas must be a fair few years old. Here a Xanthorrhoea glauca with a trunk approximately 3 ft. has got to be a few years old, read that the glauca grow approximately a cm. per year, some varieties a bit more, but I've only had it for a fraction of its life :lol: but the most amazing thing for me is, it's still alive :lol: icon_cheers

Di
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

you know something i dont di icon_thumright ive killed 2 3 footers now,not doing a 3rd. my dasy quad must be knocking on,as are some of the rostratas
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

I wouldn't either Darren, twice is enough :( A bit hit and miss here after this Winter, lots of the leaves died, but a new head of hair now icon_cheers I held my breath for a while.

Di
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.