Suckers round Aralia

caminthegarden

Suckers round Aralia

Post by caminthegarden »

My 20 yr old Aralia variagata ,has now got suckers coming up round it , green and nasty spines sticking up all over them , heard the main plant can die if suckers are pulled out , but they must go . The aralia is large now and has out grown space , wonder if I could move it [without its suckers !]
Ben Candlin

Re: Suckers round Aralia

Post by Ben Candlin »

Hi,

Aralia elata can be a pain when it suckers, especially the variegated varieties, as they will be plain green! I've personally not heard of a plant die when the suckers are removed, but the trouble is, removing them triggers the production of more suckers. Perhaps when that happens the plant's energy and resources are put into that and not so much the original stem?

I expect it could be moved fine with a large rootball once it has lost its leaves, but that won't solve the suckering problem.

Ben.
caminthegarden

Post by caminthegarden »

Thank you Ben . It lost its leaves already ,earlier than usual due to dryness, and rather fancy a change anyway as I cant disturb the soil round it to plant anything new, I suppose it came in a pot and it could go back into a pot ?! just hope those menacing suckers dont multiply . By the way did you know that there is only one man in Holland who knows how to graft them ?!
Ben Candlin

Post by Ben Candlin »

I knew that they are difficult to graft, and that there is always a lack of material for the grafting, but just the one man in Holland?!! I didn't know that. Crazy! That would go some way to explain the high price tags then.
countrylover

Post by countrylover »

Do not throw the suckers out!!! I'll buy them from you
caminthegarden

Post by caminthegarden »

I would , happily mr countrylover , but sadly we are not in the same country ! What would you do with them ?
countrylover

Post by countrylover »

But there's Royal Mail, right?
I'd plant them out. I need summink exotic looking but very hardy to replace my sumach tree :wink:
caminthegarden

Post by caminthegarden »

surely your sumach tree has suckered as well , mine comes up all over the lawn ! These aralias are mean have just pricked myself , dont think I will be wrapping them up to post !
countrylover

Post by countrylover »

When I deal with prick plants like cacti etc I use a pair o welding gloves. Not very handy but thick and my hands are saved.
I must ask, are you gonna pull them out now or in Spring? Cuz I must decide where I want them to be posted I mean Poland or Germany icon_scratch