Date palm progress and Washy germination

JakoMonster

Date palm progress and Washy germination

Post by JakoMonster »

After the succes on germinating my Phoenix Dactylifera (i used the plastic container and vermaculite method), they are have just started sprouting there first leave/Frond and this has given me the confidence in growing palms from seeds so i now want to give Washingtonia Robusta a go, do they require a lot of heat and the same germination environment and method as phoenix ? Thanks

Heres is a pic of one of the date palm seedling the rest have only just started to come up through the soil
Attachments
003.JPG
Darlo Mark

Re: Date palm progress and Washy germination

Post by Darlo Mark »

good luck -hope you are patient!
Darlo Mark

Post by Darlo Mark »

You will have a good chance to plant out in a couple of years- my seedlings are doomed up here!
mixiepalms

Post by mixiepalms »

washies are easy. same method. grow like grass and seeds viable for yrs. oh and quick too. addictive LOL
Addictedtopalms26

Post by Addictedtopalms26 »

I just sprinkled my washy seeds in compost and perlite, watered and put in the airing cupboard :) they started coming up in about 12 days
tropical Tom

Post by tropical Tom »

Washy's are easy and fast growing. I've even had them start to germinate whilst soaking them in water for 2 days prior to sowing icon_cheers
maritimesbob

Post by maritimesbob »

Same here. Nothing fancy, I just threw two dozen Robusta seeds in a large pot of MP and Perlite, placed in the unheated greenhouse and they have all started sprouting within two weeks. Easiest palms I have ever germinated.

I suppose I should make some effort to repot them before I end up with a tangled mess of twenty trunked Robustas!!!