Turbo veg

Adrian

Turbo veg

Post by Adrian »

Not exactly exotic but did anyone try any of the new so called turbo veg this year ?
I grew three varieties of tomato and a pepper from the new grafted plants as opposed to seed grown, I think the prices were something like 3 or 4 times higher than an equivilent sized seed grown plant.
I must say that my plants were pretty poor, well not exactly poor but certainly didnt meet my expectations.
I really didnt notice the 'improved' taste and on the tomato's there was little bottom fruiting with everything at the top of the plants which had to be pinched out at greenhouse roof height.
Thats the giveaway, mine were greenhouse grown but Im wondering if they would be better grown in the ground.
As for the pepper, well I had two peppers from the plant, loads of flower but not a lot of setting fruit, what did set rotted.
Of course the weather might have not helped being a fairly poor summer.
Anyone had better experiences that might tempt me to try these again ? at the moment its back to seed grown plants for next year.
musa_monkey

Re: Turbo veg

Post by musa_monkey »

Didn't grow any personally but I recall seeing an episode of GW where the came to a similar conclusion i.e. that they didn't live up to the hype.
Ian Cooke

Re: Turbo veg

Post by Ian Cooke »

The main value of grafted plants is where you are growing in soil that may be infected with tomato diseases. the rootstocks give some protection and therefore make a crop possible. Its not a new technique - been around for ages but reintroduced this year as sales gimmick!