Seed grown Musa zebrina

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Seed grown Musa zebrina

Post by Dave Brown »

I mantioned this zebrina banana in the Ae Ae post.

Here it was back in june, and I said it was very yellow for what is supposed to be a red banana

Since then it went downhill, and appeared to get sun burnt. I brought it back indoors and it has bucked up. Here is the pic with the same banana with 2 smaller seedling zebrina.

Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Libby »

Needed to be kept warm and cosy then??
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

I bought a zebrina of e-bay a few months ago.When it turned up it was in pretty bad shape,looked like Royal Mail used it as a football.It went straight into the greenhouse for what seemed like weeks until it started to recover.Its doing pretty well now outside,although definately not setting the world alight.Then I get home this afternoon to find the newest leaf has been what I can only describe as split right down the middle to the stem :shock:
Looks like my youngest isn't happy to just steal plant labels anymore,He's resorted to plant Vandalism.I've since found a few other things with similar damage,Black magic and Musella.
I'm glad Paul S told me that kids can't really go to his open day,as I can imagine what carnage there may have been :lol:
Steve
Libby

Post by Libby »

Oh dear!
My neighbours had a cat problem in their greenhouse so I helped them construct a gate type thing that wedges in between the sliding door and the door frame, lets the cool air in but stops the cats. Looks like you may need to do something similar!
How old is your mini vandal? Old enough to be talked too?
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

The greenhouse is completely off limits to everyone who doesn't want to jump over an Agave(they do have their uses :lol: )
As for talking to him,no way whatsoever.He's only 18 months so I'll let him off.Thankfully he must have a sixth sense about anything spiky.Same goes for my eldest(4yrs) whos never damaged a single plant yet.
The good thing about bananas is they grow quick,if he starts damaging Palms,thenwe're going to have trouble :lol:
Steve
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Steve the good news is they grow out of it, but then the bad news is they grow into something else.

My 19 year old webmaster, phoned me to say he parked the car, (my car) outside the pub, and someone had nicked the aerial :roll: Fortunately only £4.99 on eBay.

This is a close up of the Zebrina with yellow streaks
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Eddy »

hi there all, I noticed you were talking about Musa Zebrina. I have tried on two occasions to germinate zebrina seeds and all I have achieved in doing is waste six seeds. In fact not only did the seeds not germinate but they disappeared as well. I had them in a propagator at 30c for about 9 hours a day every day, then turned it off till the morning. after a couple of months I checked and found them gone. I have 4 seeds left and Im a bit nervous at the thought of sowing them. Any advice out there? I have successfully germinated Musa sikkimensis but faild with the zebrina.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Hi scrim, Welcome to the forum.

I put 10 zebrina seed in the prop in February. They are small, one of the smallest banana seeds I have ever sown. They were soaked in hand hot water which expels air from the kernal, then as the water cools it is drawn into the seed.

Then similar to you I gave the hot/cool treatment. Boy did that get boring as my propagator is 6 sq feet, so it stayed on, and the zebrina tray had to be moved in and out every day. After about 3 months I gave up and left them in. I seedling came up and another 2 about 6 weeks later.

A lot might be down to the compost used. It needs to be moist but with plenty of air in the mix. The most common failure is caused by stodgy waterlogged compost causing rot. :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Eddy »

Thanks Dave for your reply,
maybe too much water was my problem as I tended to keep the seeds moist. I was told they must not get dry. Someone did suggest I put cling film over the top of the pots, to keep moisture in, thereby preventing over watering. Sadly some things go right through my ears and others stay for ever. I will give it a couple of months and try again ready for the new year.
PS. I thought the idea of a plastic tub and some moist kitching towel to germinate date seeds was a good idea. (Found on your site) I had germinated about 13 date seeds in moist compost and a plastic zip bag. (Very easy) Most rooted, but quickly the roots turned brown and died. Life is one big learning curve isn't it. :shock: Thanks again speak later.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Hi Scrim

Seed need four main things to germinate - moisture, oxygen, the correct temperature. and a sterile medium. Most compost is too moisture retentive. excludes the oxygen and the seed rots, or the roots rot shortly after germination. :wink:

My best propagation medium is my gravel drive at the front. Trachies, canna, cordyline, bizzy lizzy, lobelia... you name it it germinates. It stays just damp, warm and plenty of air. :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright