Praying for mild weather.

karl66

Praying for mild weather.

Post by karl66 »

Being fairly new to exotic's i'd love to be able to fast forward 1 month & still be having this mild weather!. I personally think if we can escape savage temps till middle of december it will have given all my palms a leg up. A customer of mine has been growing similar exotics to what i have and says she cant be bothered protecting anything :shock: , & says she likes to just see what does and does not survive. Dont think i'd like her running my business :lol: . karl.
Tom2006

Re: Praying for mild weather.

Post by Tom2006 »

I'm with you on this one. We need the cold to stay away for as long as possible. IF we can get to Jan without anything too bad then it will only be 3 months to spring!!
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
stephenprudence

Post by stephenprudence »

Well with our first significant (and first outright) frost tonight, there could be some damage. I'm not going to bother protecting though, so if things die then, 'good' I suppose. My dad probably wants some space to do his gardening next year when I'm out of the house.

Last night there was aminimum of 8C predicted, and ended up with 3.5, so tonight -3 or -4C is not far fetched.

For those down south though it looks frost free for some time, I mean maybe until December! For those here and further north I suggest many more frosts to come and some quite frequent ones past the month, especially to the west of the Pennines.

Parts of Manchester were 0 to -2C this morning.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Not good but suppose it is Nov. I agree about the potential for lack of frosts south and east until December. Why won't you protect? I thought I recall you saying your dad was coming onboard the exotic ride?
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
Adam D

Post by Adam D »

It is looking quite frosty out there this morning up here.

The sun is melting the bits directly exposed to it, but there is still a lot of frost in the shade.

I am going out for a MTB ride soon and I am quite looking forward to cycling through a very still and cold Autumnal scene 8)
stephenprudence

Tom2006 wrote:Not good but suppose it is Nov. I agree about the potential for lack of frosts south and east until December. Why won't you protect? I thought I recall you saying your dad was coming onboard the exotic ride?
Well with me potentially moving to Wales very soon, I'll be working there so I won't really have an awful lot of time here. My dad doesn't really get the whole protection thing with regards to plants, so he probably wouldn't do it (he wouldn't know where to begin).

For him exotic is nice, however I think he's fussy with this and he's already told me he doesn't like the garden covered in fleeces. For that reason it's very unlikely most of the none hardy stuff will make it through (the greenhouse is still being built, it'll be on course for next year I think) and this year he doesn't want the garage filled with plants, because he is currently re-decorating it, so it's a sticky situation.

When I move he'll probably just change the garden to suit him, which is fine with me, as I'm not going to be there much.
kata

Post by kata »

Piity about the plants Stephen,

Is Wales any warmer................. lmfaooooooooooooooo:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
jezza

Post by jezza »

Don't knock the welsh kata, that bird who presents the one show is welsh and i wouldn't mind a warm spell with her :lol:
Adam D

Post by Adam D »

Just back from my cycle and I always find it amazing how much the temperature can vary on my route because some places were quite frost free and others were frosty/icy.

Very wet everywhere though and muddy.
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

Temps in my area have took a nose dive the past 6 days. And i'm the east midlands so i can go either way in terms of temps. But so far the mild spell for me is now disappearing and the more normal winter temps are appearing. icon_thumbdown

My lows have gone from 13c down to 8c. and daytime highs from 16c down to 11c. But no frost just yet but it won't be long. :(
lee-ann

Post by lee-ann »

All I'm SAYING IS 1 AND ITS 9.20 :ahhh!:
stephenprudence

It'll warm up when that cloud comes along.

We're still in the inversion here so the temperature will stay under 6C until the cloud comes and displaces the inversion.

Currently 4.4 and the frost has gone, although the ground wasn't actually frozen this morning.
MikeC

Post by MikeC »

No sign of a frost here. I think it went down to about 5 or 6 degrees, and was showing 8 degrees at 8.30am this morning.

Forecast shows temperatures overnight between 5 and 10 degrees for the next week.
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

-2 last night for me
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
huporhaha

Post by huporhaha »

Well we have had it mild here despite clear skies at night - our garden is just above sea level and it has been unseasonably warm. At 5.30pm it was still 13C. However, a few miles inland, it has been almost consistently 10 degrees lower with sharp overnight frosts on the road through the mountains. I transplanted my cannas into a bed in the greenhouse about 3 weeks ago and since then they have gone ballistic - they hardly moved in August and September but I now have 3 with buds just about to burst into flower.