Anyone grow the King Palm, Archontophoenix alexandrae

The Codfather

Anyone grow the King Palm, Archontophoenix alexandrae

Post by The Codfather »

Seen this and it look nice ???
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
MikeC

Re: Anyone grow the King Palm, Archontophoenix alexandrae

Post by MikeC »

According to the Palm Centre in London

http://www.palmcentre.co.uk/ProductDeta ... ductID=236

Not hardy for the garden, but excellent as an indoor palm given bright light.

Sounds like one for those in Scilly only.
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Archontophoenix cunninghamiana, the Bangalow palm, is a little hardier & I did have some happily growing away in my garden until the recent cold winters, though a newer small one did survive last winter with some damage...

Tresco had a mature of of these, but it was killed after the cold winter of 1987.

They are easy enough to grow though, if you have somewhere to keep them over winter. They love LOTS of water during the summer months & used to grow fairly fast for me...
Attachments
My now dead Bangalow palms
My now dead Bangalow palms
garden3.jpg (60.41 KiB) Viewed 2825 times
Trudytropics

Post by Trudytropics »

I have a Archontophonenix cunninghamiana too, its very tall, it will be coming indoors once things get to cold. Its a bit scruffy looking at present, wasn't brilliant when it was delivered, but plenty of spears pushing up, so hopefully next summer it will look better :D
MikeC

Post by MikeC »

Trudytropics wrote:I have a Archontophonenix cunninghamiana too, its very tall, it will be coming indoors once things get to cold. Its a bit scruffy looking at present, wasn't brilliant when it was delivered, but plenty of spears pushing up, so hopefully next summer it will look better :D
What's the plan when it won't fit indoors anymore? Donate it to some public place with a tall lobby?
Trudytropics

Post by Trudytropics »

I know, could be a potential problem. My hubby nearly had a fit when he saw it a couple of months back, he stupidly asked and where do you think thats going over winter?, I smiled sweetly and said in the house of course, he shook his head and went off muttering something about a bloody mad woman :lol: I had to laugh when a few days later he said to some friends, its flipping unbelieveable, I go off to work, come back 3 hours later for lunch and there's a 12ft tall palm in the middle of the patio :lol:

I have fortunately got a place for it this winter, if it survives through to next year, I'll worry about the following winter then :?
Las Palmas Norte

Post by Las Palmas Norte »

Here's one I grew from seed a couple of years ago. It's in a gallon pot and will likely need to be moved up to a 2 gallon pot next spring. I found them easy to start from seed and fairly fast growers.

Cheers, Barrie.
Attachments
Nov.15-11 005b.jpg
Nov.15-11 007b.jpg
Addictedtopalms26

Post by Addictedtopalms26 »

You persuaded me to give it a go!

just got some seeds off ebay :lol:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Archontophoen ... 5644cc3a50
MikeC

Post by MikeC »

Amulree have

https://vault1.secured-url.com/turn-it- ... roduct=535

Looks pretty good value for £25.
MikeC

Post by MikeC »

Trudytropics wrote:I know, could be a potential problem. My hubby nearly had a fit when he saw it a couple of months back, he stupidly asked and where do you think thats going over winter?, I smiled sweetly and said in the house of course, he shook his head and went off muttering something about a bloody mad woman :lol: I had to laugh when a few days later he said to some friends, its flipping unbelieveable, I go off to work, come back 3 hours later for lunch and there's a 12ft tall palm in the middle of the patio :lol:

I have fortunately got a place for it this winter, if it survives through to next year, I'll worry about the following winter then :?
I need to convince the mrs we need a conservatory. One like this would be ideal.

:D
Trudytropics

Post by Trudytropics »

That is a beautiful conservatory Mike, think of the fun filling that with tropicals, it amazes me the number of people you see on TV with conservatories with no plants in them :? I thought the whole purpose of one was to grow nice plants in :lol:
targui

Post by targui »

Photo of king palm in my front garden in Tauranga,
New Zealand.
Attachments
005.JPG
005.JPG (83.54 KiB) Viewed 2715 times
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

My two seedlings came bare root from Spain earlier this year. They were very slow to start with but picked up somewhat later on.

The smaller one dried out by accident earlier this year and the newest leaf withered. However, I seemed to get away with it and it made a good recovery
Nov pics3 017.JPG