Shed colder than garden!

cordyman

Shed colder than garden!

Post by cordyman »

Got a wireless temp receiver now with x2 sensors.

Hoping to find my shed 3*c warmer for storing my Sikki's I was surprised to find its actually 1-2*c colder than the main garden :shock:

Ill be loft insulating the sikki but shed will be preferable too as it shouldnt get frost inside?

Just surprised me it was warmer outside :lol:
Panama Pete

Re: Shed colder than garden!

Post by Panama Pete »

Keep the shed door open Cordyman. It still might not be frost free. :D
Scott Radford

Post by Scott Radford »

I keep a check on my shed/greenhouse combo each morning as I get my bike from the shed bit, and so far the thermometer inside the greenhouse is reading a degree or two above the outside consistently.

The theremometer is getting a bit mouldy though, as it's an old factory one I got from my days working for british Coal, Thus I have dug out my snazzy wireless one to go in there instead. With a direct line of sight from shed window to back bedroom window I am hoping I can get a connection established to the main unit in the bedroom and monitor the temperature that way. The wireless transmitter is plastic and wipeable as opposed to the wooden one in there at the moment :)
stephenprudence

Post by stephenprudence »

Probably to do with the humidity. If you get a humidifier in the shed it should make some difference.
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

Or a faulty sensor? Try swapping the two round, and see if your shed suddenly gets warmer than outdoors?
MikeC

Post by MikeC »

Sell your shed on ebay as an energy free refrigerator!

Worth a fortune!
kata

Post by kata »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
musa_monkey

Post by musa_monkey »

I have 3 sensors outside one in the garden, one in the greenhouse and one in the garage.

There is generally a 3c difference between the garden and the enclosed spaces this time of year (without the greenhouse heater). With the garden being the coldest :lol:

The interesting thing is the garage is much slower to change temps compared to the greenhouse. OK thats because its brick and of greater mass but its interesting to consider that the temps are more stable overall and this slow temperature change should have a positive impact on plant storage. Not really thought about that before.
kata

Post by kata »

Dunno about my shed being cold,

It gets white damp on the walls, not very good sheds here I have to say, the flickin mice hog the best one.

In the box is my Canna from this year, on top of my box is the dahlias. I guess I should see if they are dried out now.

icon_cheers icon_cheers
Attachments
cannabox.png
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

musa_monkey wrote:I have 3 sensors outside one in the garden, one in the greenhouse and one in the garage.

There is generally a 3c difference between the garden and the enclosed spaces this time of year (without the greenhouse heater). With the garden being the coldest :lol:

The interesting thing is the garage is much slower to change temps compared to the greenhouse. OK thats because its brick and of greater mass but its interesting to consider that the temps are more stable overall and this slow temperature change should have a positive impact on plant storage. Not really thought about that before.

It can also have a slight negative affect as last winter the garage stayed cold for longer than outside. So frozen pots could stay frozen for ages in a garage. Something to watch out for....
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

I take it you did not have that issue Kris !!! with having the FF for colder night's ?
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

The Codfather wrote:I take it you did not have that issue Kris !!! with having the FF for colder night's ?
No by keeping the door open as much as possible helped. But with no sun on it meant it took longer to warm up compared to outside.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

left the sensors next to each other 2 nights ago and they had a 0.3 *c difference. That didnt clear the issue up.

Last night put one sensor outside of shed and other in usual spot on side of decking. Shed thermo was 3.2 *c last night decking thermo 4.7*c ! (4.4 taking into account 0.3 variation) so it seems shed which is in main garden gets colder any way than shelter of lower decking closer to house.

I'll be relocating main sensor well away from house I think to rule out any skewing!
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

Or maybe the decking is on fire?

:lol:
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

I have a nice warm shed, always nice going inside there in the mornings when its cold outside in the garden. To be honest if i could do all my work in the shed then i would. at least my coffee would stay warmer for longer. :lol: