how fast will Fatsia Japonica grow?

VictoriaZ

how fast will Fatsia Japonica grow?

Post by VictoriaZ »

Firstly, thanks to all of you who have given me ideas for my new garden, you've been very helpful!

I basically want some fast growing evergreen plants/shrubs that are frost hardy and will grow to 3-5 foot FAST and do not need overwintering

Fastia Japonica is one I like but just how many inches will it grow on average per month/year ? I'm hoping to source things that will grow rapidly to create instant impact in the summer, but without having to go and buy expensive specimen plants. and things that I can just cut back if they get "too big".

I can't seem to find anything else and want things that are not deciduous.

Many thanks in advance, I have been online solidly for a week and am still not decided upon what to put in my 2 sunny borders (20 foot long 3.5 feet or so wide) apart from a couple of 70cm Trachycapus Fortunei I've bought and 2 Yukka....at this rate I'll be stuffing them full of begonias and ferns to fill the space !
GARYnNAT

Re: how fast will Fatsia Japonica grow?

Post by GARYnNAT »

Hi Victoria

we have 3 in our garden, they are not that fast growing but i have found them to be hardy and evergreen an work well as fillers but buy as large as you can if you want instant impact :D

Gary
mixiepalms

Post by mixiepalms »

This is a 4 year old Fatsia that was grown from seed, Not the fastest but a very reliable plant and as gaz said a great filler.
Attachments
fats.jpg
palmking

Post by palmking »

Too fast, once they get established for my liking!

I've cut my two plants back to the wood and intended to remove them, only i'll need a mini digger to get them out by the roots!

They'd reached around 5 foot high and wide in about 3/4 years from very small plants and that's with hard pruning.

Very Hardy but plant away from grass as they shade it too much and don't be afraid to chop them back hard.

Oh! an interesting fact Is they droop their leaves down in frost and spring back up when the daytime temps lift.
Guy

Post by Guy »

I've always found that newly planted fatsias sulk for a couple of years before getting into their stride. They then grow very fast but not at first. Others experience may differ...... :)
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

As Guy said I too find that it can take them a season or two to get going but once it does it puts on growth at a fast rate.

Are you going to put it in a sunny border? Although it can tolerate full sun it performs much better from dappled to full shade, mantaining it's glossy, rich green colour. In full sun it can go yellow tinged. The matte leafed Fatsia polycarpa is better in full sun.

If you can source the variety F.j. 'Moseri' that's even better. It doesnt look different from the plain F.j. but once it gets going it puts out much bigger leaves, very jungly :)
VictoriaZ wrote:I basically want some fast growing evergreen plants/shrubs that are frost hardy and will grow to 3-5 foot FAST and do not need overwintering
I can't seem to find anything else and want things that are not deciduous.
If you decide not to limit your choices to evergreen plants only then you might consider Melianthus major and Cynara cardunculus, they both grow big and fast in just one season, and loves full sun 8)
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

I have both a Green standard form , and a variegated one both grow quickly at about 3 feet per year, but as has been said you can cut them right back. I cut one stem near to ground level every year, this bushes the plant low down as they tend to lose the lower leaves. the next year anotherone is cut back etc.

Here is Fatsia Japonica variegata young growth May 2007
020507 Fatsia Variegata 012.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by VictoriaZ »

holy christ that's a mother !
i've bought 4 fatsias at around 2-2.5 foot tall. the idea is to have one at each end of my two borders. From the pics and comments I think I get the idea now so thanks for the help. I might be dusting off my shears by next summer then unless I want to swamp my grass!
Don

Post by Don »

Victoria--I think you have made an excellent choice. Fatsia are one of those plants that you can do nearly enough anything with. Grow and prune to a standard tree :ahhh!: or prune back to ground level and let it form a mound of fresh leaves.
I have one here that has reached about 12 feet with just a couple of bare solitary stems and a large canopy. Araliaceae really are one of the most versatile, rewarding inexpensive and hardy plants we can buy to give an exotic effect
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Also Fatsia is far more exotic than most people think as it is only reliably hardy to -10C. It cannot be grown outside coastal areas of the US even down to parts of Georgia and Alabama. :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
tropical-pete

Post by tropical-pete »

Love that variegated Fatsia, Dave. We have the plain green form potted up, but it's rather slow growing compared to the growth rate of others. Do they grow faster if planted out, does anyone know?

Thanks, take care

Pete