Copper nails to kill trees

Post Reply
gdudey

Copper nails to kill trees

Post by gdudey » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:37 pm

Does anyone know if tapping copper nails in to trees kills them?

I heard about it yesterday so I thought I'd give it a go on my leylandii that I'm getting rid of. I can't really saw them down for a couple of months due to an injury, so as an experiment I banged in about ten nails around the trunk about an inch apart.


User avatar
sanatic1234
Posts: 7291
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:04 pm
Location: east midlands/Lincolnshire
Contact:

Re: Copper nails to kill trees

Post by sanatic1234 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:47 pm

Yes i have read report that they do, although you will not see results till at least 6 months after doing so.
I have also read that it need to be knocked in pretty low down the trunk near to the root system.
Believe me i have had loads of thoughts about doing this to the 30ft high ones at the end of my garden, but for one i don't own them, if found out will get fined big time for it. secondly do not know which was they will fall either away from my house on into my shed and cover half my garden.
Best regards Aaron :)

Summer 2013 was a good one :-).

http://s1006.photobucket.com/home/sanat ... entuploads


User avatar
davidjonesUK
Posts: 935
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:07 pm
Location: Bromborough, Merseyside, Liverpool, England, Zone 9a (GB)

Re: Copper nails to kill trees

Post by davidjonesUK » Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:20 pm

can they be like pin size ones or have to be like 6inch ones to do this? as i have ideas for the trees next to me hahahaha :twisted: and if I did succeed on killing it can I take the nails back out to hide evidence? or will the tree come back to life? as this bit of wooded area next to me has these 2 little trees that really annoy me and my dad and it carries like 1trillion tiny leaves I don't mind the rest as they've been cut back and there larger leaves and easier to pick up and id do it now in winter to make it blend in hahaha :lol: :twisted: .
Dave Jones , Bromborough, wirral, England Zone 9a


User avatar
sanatic1234
Posts: 7291
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:04 pm
Location: east midlands/Lincolnshire
Contact:

Re: Copper nails to kill trees

Post by sanatic1234 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:55 pm

Sounds like you may have a silver birch tree david going by that description, small and loads of leafs. :lol:

I think the nails do have to be the thick ones the thicker they are the less you would need. :wink:
Best regards Aaron :)

Summer 2013 was a good one :-).

http://s1006.photobucket.com/home/sanat ... entuploads


gdudey

Re: Copper nails to kill trees

Post by gdudey » Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:07 pm

I understand the trick is to get as much copper sulphate in to the tree as possible, so the bigger the tree the more nails you'll need. I've used 1" long ones, it was all B&Q had in stock, the trees trunks are no more than 8 inches in diameter. I guess copper screws would work as well and at least they can be drilled in which would save time if you need to do a lot.


User avatar
Vagetarian
Posts: 939
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:37 am
Location: Norfolk

Re: Copper nails to kill trees

Post by Vagetarian » Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:17 pm

It's an old wives tale. :D

Try galvanised nails, you get more for your money so you'll do more damage! :lol:

A copper toxicity can kill a plant but it would need to be chelated first, in other words the nails need to be broken down into compounds that the plant can absorb. It probably wouldn't be much use as a nail if this were the case.

Chainsaw does the job nicely, reciprocating saw if the trunk isn't too big (unless you've injured your arms)!


Conifers
Posts: 13147
Joined: Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:11 pm
Location: Northumbs

Re: Copper nails to kill trees

Post by Conifers » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:57 pm

Vagetarian wrote:It's an old wives tale. :D

Try galvanised nails, you get more for your money so you'll do more damage! :lol:

A copper toxicity can kill a plant but it would need to be chelated first, in other words the nails need to be broken down into compounds that the plant can absorb. It probably wouldn't be much use as a nail if this were the case.

Chainsaw does the job nicely, reciprocating saw if the trunk isn't too big (unless you've injured your arms)!
Ditto!


User avatar
sanatic1234
Posts: 7291
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:04 pm
Location: east midlands/Lincolnshire
Contact:

Re: Copper nails to kill trees

Post by sanatic1234 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:00 pm

Vagetarian wrote:
Chainsaw does the job nicely, reciprocating saw if the trunk isn't too big (unless you've injured your arms)!
But just not on trees that are not yours and are your neighbours! Else a nice fine will be coming your way. :wink:
Best regards Aaron :)

Summer 2013 was a good one :-).

http://s1006.photobucket.com/home/sanat ... entuploads


User avatar
davidjonesUK
Posts: 935
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:07 pm
Location: Bromborough, Merseyside, Liverpool, England, Zone 9a (GB)

Re: Copper nails to kill trees

Post by davidjonesUK » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:01 pm

sanatic1234 wrote:Sounds like you may have a silver birch tree david going by that description, small and loads of leafs. :lol:

I think the nails do have to be the thick ones the thicker they are the less you would need. :wink:

yeah thats he one hahaha were are these trees from here? and how many nails for that u think
Dave Jones , Bromborough, wirral, England Zone 9a


User avatar
sanatic1234
Posts: 7291
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:04 pm
Location: east midlands/Lincolnshire
Contact:

Re: Copper nails to kill trees

Post by sanatic1234 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:06 pm

I am not quite sure where there native to? I know Canada have these trees conifers will be able to confirm for you. My neighbour has one and the leafs always cover my garden to, i just leave them till spring and the mower picks them up. :lol: :lol:

As for the nails, i haven't a clue. just get a nail gun and start firing at it, wear protective clothing though. :lol: :lol:
Best regards Aaron :)

Summer 2013 was a good one :-).

http://s1006.photobucket.com/home/sanat ... entuploads


User avatar
davidjonesUK
Posts: 935
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:07 pm
Location: Bromborough, Merseyside, Liverpool, England, Zone 9a (GB)

Re: Copper nails to kill trees

Post by davidjonesUK » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:36 pm

sanatic1234 wrote:I am not quite sure where there native to? I know Canada have these trees conifers will be able to confirm for you. My neighbour has one and the leafs always cover my garden to, i just leave them till spring and the mower picks them up. :lol: :lol:

As for the nails, i haven't a clue. just get a nail gun and start firing at it, wear protective clothing though. :lol: :lol:


hahaha im a builder iV got me me PPE :lol: gets goo hahaha :lol:
Dave Jones , Bromborough, wirral, England Zone 9a


User avatar
sanatic1234
Posts: 7291
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:04 pm
Location: east midlands/Lincolnshire
Contact:

Re: Copper nails to kill trees

Post by sanatic1234 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:38 pm

:lol: :lol: get cracking mate. :lol:
Best regards Aaron :)

Summer 2013 was a good one :-).

http://s1006.photobucket.com/home/sanat ... entuploads


Kristen
Posts: 3877
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:16 am
Location: Suffolk
Contact:

Re: Copper nails to kill trees

Post by Kristen » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:12 am

gdudey wrote:Does anyone know if tapping copper nails in to trees kills them?

I heard about it yesterday so I thought I'd give it a go on my leylandii that I'm getting rid of. I can't really saw them down for a couple of months due to an injury, so as an experiment I banged in about ten nails around the trunk about an inch apart.
You don't need to kill Leylandii. When you chop them down they won't regrow, so won't matter whether they are dead, or not, at the time. If you kill them now, and then can't chop them down in a couple of months for whatever reason, they will become a liability.
K's Garden blog last update 30th December 2012, HTUK Blog


User avatar
musa_monkey
Posts: 1210
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:24 pm
Location: South Bucks

Re: Copper nails to kill trees

Post by musa_monkey » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:53 pm

sanatic1234 wrote: As for the nails, i haven't a clue. just get a nail gun and start firing at it, wear protective clothing though. :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
regards,
Alan


Post Reply