Drought returns

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Drought returns

Post by Dave Brown »

Is anyone getting this rain they keep forecasting. :? I've had 3 two minute showers that doesn't even wet the ground over the last 24 hours that does not register on the rainguage. We had 2 showers in early September recording a total of 1mm, and the last real rain was 22nd August. So far since the beginning of August we have had 23.1mm, just under an inch. The Rochester weatherstation at Lower Upnor, about 5 miles away, has recorded even less with the last rain 22nd August. :shock:

My hose was going virtually all day yesterday, and has been going all day today. Everywhere is dried out and plants wilting. The grass can take it's chances but the T Rex wilted, and the Colocasia Black Magic's leaves crisped. The front gardens where people water less look just as brown as they did in July 2006. :shock:

The forecast is for the next band of rain currently giving 50mm in places to move south, but to fissle out as it does. So no change. :roll:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Libby »

No. no rain here either! The chicken run is really dusty! Hubby said according to his paper it has been the driest September since 1997 :shock:
Unbelieveable hey!
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Libby, I'm surprised you have had so little :? I thought it was an east west divide, but maybe it is more a north south divide :wink:

It has actually rained here overnight, the first organisewd rain since 22nd August. We have recorded 3.1mm bringing the September total to 4.1mm. just seen the weather forecast from the Blue Peter garden in London, and the weather girl's umbrella blew inside out in the lashing rain during the live broadcast. The sky is getting very dark now. I think there is more rain to come :D

A decent wet day waters everything so much better than my hose @ about 5 litres a minute. 8)
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Libby »

Well things have changed abit since my last post in this thread, I was woken at 6am by a monsoon type weather! Unbelieveable, we had jsut fitted a large water butt to the house at the weekend its full this morning after about 30 mins of deluge!!! Check my blog!!
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

The maximum rainfall rate was 9.4mm per hour at around 08:40 this morning giving a total rainfall for today so far of 14.5mm, but the Rochester weatherstation at Lower Upnor 5 miles away recorded a rainfall rate of 40.9mm per hour, and a total of 30.2mm :shock:

I thought the rain was heavy here @ 9.4mm ph, but 40.9mm ph is 4 and a half times heavier. EEK :shock:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Eddy »

Dave you must live in a no go area for rain, as early this morning about 4am it started to rain here in stevenage and it rained so hard on my window it woke me up. Armagedon doesn't wake me up. But the rain did. At 8am it was still raining. It finally stopped at about 9am. So all in all my garden has had a good soaking. That means I cannot put off the mowing for much longer. :cry: never mind the plants liked it.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Scrim,

It is one of the driest placed in the country. :D

This is the weather graph for today at chalk.

In the top graph you can see the dramatic effect of the cold front on temperature as it arrived around 08:30

The second graph shows how the falling pressure rises abruptly as the colder, denser air arrives with the cold front.

The third graph illustrates how the wind rose leading up to the cold front, and fell quiet immediately after.

The fourth graph depicts the wind direction veering from SSW to WSW as the front passes through.

And finally, The fifth graph displays the heavy rain that fell as the cold front went through. At its peak 9.4mm per hour was falling.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Libby »

Equinox!!!
Eddy

Post by Eddy »

All that info went straight over my head, so ill take your word for it.