New planter started today.

Daniel

Re: New planter started today.

Post by Daniel »

Ste, I've re-read the thread and see you are planning to plant 3 waggies in there. So you are quite right, there is no need, or extra benefit, to be gained from putting any extra heat source into your raised bed.
Ste

Post by Ste »

Spent all afternoon yesterday mixing the 2 ton of top soil I got delivered. Put it all through the cement mixer at a ratio of 6 shovel fulls of top soil, 1 shovel full of gravel/chippings, 1 shovel full of sharp sand. This should help with drainage. It took ages mixing it all, wheeling it round the back then shoveling it out the barrow into the planter. Worst of all, i'm still about a ton short :ahhh!:
Ive got all the stone pillars built in the wall today and put the copings on. Im pleased with how the pillars look, they make the wall look so much better. All ive got to do now is render it. I'll be gutted when ive done that, I will have nothing else left to do and will be bored senseless :(
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

If you get restless Ste you can always bring that mixer round here and help me put my footings in.

:lol:
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Ste wrote:Spent all afternoon yesterday mixing the 2 ton of top soil I got delivered. Put it all through the cement mixer at a ratio of 6 shovel fulls of top soil, 1 shovel full of gravel/chippings, 1 shovel full of sharp sand. This should help with drainage. It took ages mixing it all, wheeling it round the back then shoveling it out the barrow into the planter. Worst of all, i'm still about a ton short :ahhh!:
Ive got all the stone pillars built in the wall today and put the copings on. Im pleased with how the pillars look, they make the wall look so much better. All ive got to do now is render it. I'll be gutted when ive done that, I will have nothing else left to do and will be bored senseless :(
You can always pop round to mine and raise my pond up with railway sleepers and build me another better shed? icon_thumright
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
Ste

Post by Ste »

hahaha :lol:
Shamone10

Post by Shamone10 »

Wow, that looks good, the lights really make it at night too. Nice one!

I've seen something similar at a restaurant near me. All of the outdoors area is surrounded by similar planters with phyllostachys 'aurea' or some kind of gold-caned bamboo as the only plant in the whole area. But with white lights on them at night they look incredible!

And i'm usually anti loads of little lights in your garden lol
Simba

Post by Simba »

As a rule, I am not a fan of blue lights.... :wink: ....but this is an exeption to the rule, especially if you planted a large specimen Butia in there Ste.
That would look magnificent..... icon_thumleft
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

Daniel wrote:Have you considered putting any supplimentary heat source into ...
On a similar note drip irrigation maybe?
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Kristen wrote:
Daniel wrote:Have you considered putting any supplimentary heat source into ...
On a similar note drip irrigation maybe?
:lol:

Have you ever been to Morecambe Kristen? Once you pass Birmingham just aim for the big thick black cloud. Natural drip (drop?) irrigation all over the North West.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

^^^^ lol

Looking good Ste, that wall will look great once rendered.
And the lighing looks very effective.
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Nice work ste, one of my projects this year is to get some decent garden lighting sorted & a good self watering system installed. karl.
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

GoggleboxUK wrote:Have you ever been to Morecambe Kristen?
Sort off. I was over that area on a Jumbo heading for the States once and it dumped all its fuel, so we could return back to Heathrow. I assumed that was why it always rained in the North West!

But for a container? I find they don't collect water as well as the same area of soil connected to the surrounding soil and sub-soil - plant canopy causes much to be lost sideways, and so on. But its a stonking big container, so maybe that's not an issue.
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Ste's putting 3 Waggies in that pot and waggies tend to channel water towards the trunk rather than disperse it.

I see what you mean though, Hostas in p[ots is a bad idea as I found out this year.
Ste

Post by Ste »

Simba wrote:As a rule, I am not a fan of blue lights.... :wink: ....but this is an exeption to the rule, especially if you planted a large specimen Butia in there Ste.
That would look magnificent..... icon_thumleft
I was not too sure about going for a coloured light at first. I definatley wanted this type of spotlight, with its polished stainless steel fascia - they look good even during the day when the lights are off. The colours available were white, blue, red and green. As I was puting 2 halogen lamps in the origional planter I thought going for white spotlights would be boring as they would be the same colour as the halogens. I diddn't like the look of the red ones, couldn't go for green as thats a celtic colour and as im a rangers fan I had no other choice but to pick blue. Ive now got 10 blue spots in the biggest planter and another 10 in the new one. I like it the best when a leaf is near one of the spots (I have my washy next to 2 or 3 spots) and the blue light shining on the green leaf makes it look purple - really smart colour.
A big butia would look nice in there but after losing my big one last winter I feel a bit more confident sticking some trachys in there. Plus the whirligig thing is quite close and a butia will have quite big fronds which the washing will keep catching on, atleast with waggies they can be planted more towards the back of the pot and they are compact anyway so wont be a problem with the washing.
This was part of the deal before I pinched some more of the garden, I was told as long as the washing diddn't interfere with it then I could steal a bit more space.
Ste

Post by Ste »

Got my wall finished today, well it still needs painting once the render has dried but that will be sometime next week I should imagine. What a nightmare its been today, Started this morning at 8 once it was light, mixed 2 mixes of mortar, rendered all 3 bays on the wall, washed the mixer and barrow out and it was only 10:30. All I had to do was rub the wall up. As there's just no drying in the air the render is still soft now, I was out till 4:30 with the sponge still rubbing it up. If it was summer I would of been finished for dinner time easy but this weather is no good for work like this. Anyway im happy with how it looks, a lot better than that horrible red fence anyway.