Eucalyptus drive by.

Las Palmas Norte

Eucalyptus drive by.

Post by Las Palmas Norte »

Driving thru the Hammond Bay area of Nanaimo (Vancouver Island) today, I turned into check on some Eucs.

Cheers, Barrie.

Cathy

Re: Eucalyptus drive by.

Post by Cathy »

Interesting 'vid' Barrie, :) Thanks for sharing!
They are planted quite close to the building and will likely grow tall and suck the life out of the ground in the process!
Not sure of the variety you have shown but we planted E. Perrinniana near our front door, then had to dig it out because after two years it was growing at a rate of knots and taking all the moisture out of the ground, starving other plants nearby.
Now, we have one in a large tub which seems quite happy - for now! As you showed, the bark is attractive and the round juvenile foliage is lovely before changing to the oval leaves of the maturing tree. ...or is the one in your pic's E. Gunnii?
Cathy x
huporhaha

Post by huporhaha »

Nice video - sorry cannot say 100% sure what type they are - niphs or pauci/niphs possibly or an ssp. Can't see if the leaves are sycthe shaped or just long and thin. Great minds think alike - I was harvesting some seed from a Dalremaplaena this afternoon.

The best site for identification of cold hardy eucs can be found here:

http://www.angelfire.com/bc/eucalyptus/eucindex.html

I'm a bit concerned that whoever planted them may be looking for trouble in a few years time as one in particular looks to be growing very close to a building. I keep mine at least 50 metres from the house or any pipes as some species can be very thirsty and their roots can cause subsidence or block drains.
huporhaha

Post by huporhaha »

May be delegaensis - mine look similar - but have taken i beating in recent gales :?
Las Palmas Norte

Another one I did a few days back.

Cheers, Barrie.

Edo

Post by Edo »

Cathy wrote:Interesting 'vid' Barrie, :) Thanks for sharing!
They are planted quite close to the building and will likely grow tall and suck the life out of the ground in the process!
Not sure of the variety you have shown but we planted E. Perrinniana near our front door, then had to dig it out because after two years it was growing at a rate of knots and taking all the moisture out of the ground, starving other plants nearby.
Now, we have one in a large tub which seems quite happy - for now! As you showed, the bark is attractive and the round juvenile foliage is lovely before changing to the oval leaves of the maturing tree. ...or is the one in your pic's E. Gunnii?
Cathy x
Good Lord, is that you Cathy?
Las Palmas Norte

Cathy wrote:Interesting 'vid' Barrie, :) Thanks for sharing!
No worries there. All there's around is concrete and paving. The only thing that might be concerning are the grates situated around the base of these trees. Once they develop some girth it could be an issue.

Cheers, Barrie.
Cathy

Post by Cathy »

Hello Edo, yes, it is me! :roll: :oops: :lol: now that we have taken on full time care of our two grandaughters life is hectic these days!

Barrie, I was thinking of the foundations of any nearby walls suffering from ground shrinkage, as much as nearby plants!