name that plant!

Eddy

name that plant!

Post by Eddy »

Good day to all 'Hardy Tropicalers'.
On working down the topics list on the forum I came across the item 'Can you see this' writen by STEVEW. I noticed on one of the photos a plant that looks familiar. I have a small plant that I don't know the name of growing in a pot in my garden all year round, that looks just like the one on the said item. It can be found on photo 'DSCN1151.JPG'. Can soneone ID it for me, and how big does it grow. My one is about a foot hight but the one in the photo looks like a tree. I would be grateful if someone would put me in the picture. Thanks in advance.
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

That would be a Tetrapanex paprifer'Rex'.
They get absolutely HUGE given the right conditions.
The leaves alone can get to a metre across,although mine have never got that big.Mines currently about 5ft high,it branched in the spring so that may explain why the leaves haven't got that big this year.And its now decided to start flowering

If this is the plant you've got then I'd advise you to plant it out in the spring as they don't do well in pots at all.And give it plenty of room.

Steve
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

I got a T'Rex from Carolpz on UKO back in March. It was sent bare rooted and potted up on arrival.

Here it is on 1st May.

Again on 4th July about 6 weeks after planting out.

As you can see they grow quite fast when in the ground. They seem to like a well drained soil and wilt dramatically if over watered or in poor drainage. I had to remove the mulch from mine to stop it wilting after watering.:oops:

Wonderful plant with BIG leaves, will fit into my garden perfectly. I have been warned they can be as invasive as bamboo in the right conditions, so worth considering a below ground barrier, which I have not done :oops:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by SteveW »

I don't think a barrier is really neccessary with Rex.As when you start getting pups they'll be easier to remove if they're not right next to the main plant.And they're so easy to remove,not anywhere near as invasive as a bamboo(says the man that removed about 8 or so pups a few weeks ago :roll: )
They only seem to pup readily once the roots have been disturbed,normally done while lifting plants in the same area,or replanting in the spring.
Steve
Eddy

Post by Eddy »

thanks stevew for the reply but the photo I was referring to was on that item, but further back. Because when I saw the trex I had a look at the other photos on that item, by clicking on the next button a few times. I saw a couple of snaps of someones garden and after a few more pictures the said photo came up with the photo number on the top.Could you please have a look again just to make sure you know which plant I meant. I do hope you look for me. I know my description of where it is, is a bit complicated but it is there. Thanks in advance for your help.
Eddy

Post by Eddy »

PS I must get one of the TREX plants in the future.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

I had another look, It looks like an Acacia to me, possibly dealbata? :?:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by SteveW »

Hi,
Thats an Albizia julibrissin'Silk tree',very similar to an acacia.Same family I think.
Steve
Eddy

Post by Eddy »

Thanks Stevew. I have often wondered what it was. Five years ago I brought back from Spain some seeds that I found over there. This plant apart from some pines were the only thing that came up. My wife said she thought the tree where it came from had yellow flowers on it. I'm not so sure. Still I've got a start. Thanks mate.
Eddy

Post by Eddy »

PS and thanks to you as well Dave.
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

Paul Spracklin on UKO has a yellow flowering Albizzia,So it may be one of those.
Steve
Eddy

Post by Eddy »

Sorry for being ignorant but what is 'UKO' is it a web site? I'm a newby on this site. And don't know the lingo.
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

Sorry,I just thought you knew or were on there aswell.
Its another exotic plant forum,The UKOasis
Steve
Eddy

Post by Eddy »

thanks steve, now I know.