Wasp Spider invasion

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Wasp Spider invasion

Post by Dave Brown »

I visited my sister in Wilmington (Dartford, Kent) yesterday, and was told that they have Wasp Spiders in the garden, I went and had a look having never heard of a wasp spider before. I could not see any, but was told the neighbour was killing them as they have young children, and these spiders have a bite like a wasp sting

Having looked it up on the web (pun) The female Wasp spider can grow to a body size of 2cm with a leg diameter of 5cm, so a bit on the large size for the UK. Males are quite a lot smaller. They have been reported on the South Coast since 1922, and until recently they stayed there, but over the last few years they have been sighted as far north as Cambridge. They do not survive the winter, but the eggs will so colonies don't die out.

They inhabit long grass that is not managed so have probably come from the farm hedgerow at the bottom of my sister's garden. Their food is low flying or jumping insects.

These are appearently harmless although capable of a bite. The name Wasp Spider refers to the black and yellow stripes, not the pain of this bite which at most cauases minor local swelling and itching. In my view not a reason to kill them, as they sit in the web, rather than chase you around for your ice cream.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by SteveW »

I found one of these while picking Blackberries last year,it was Huge.Once we got home I searched the net for what it was.And found this site.
I'd love to have these in my garden,as they're more colourful than the common garden spiders that we've got all over the place.
Steve
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

That's one way to upset the neighbours :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright