Dicksonia looks ready to send up croziers again

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Dicksonia looks ready to send up croziers again

Post by Dave Brown »

My Dicksonia antarctica has half a dozen new croziers lurking around the top of the fibre. I noticed the slight bulges and felt with my finger. I wonder if I will get an Autumn flush, or if it will wait for next spring. It has already grown 14 fronds since I got it in the spring. 8) Maybe the cooler, wetter summer has suited it.

Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by SteveW »

I think the summer has definately been good for treeferns in general.
My Multiheader in the making hasn't stopped putting out new fronds since April/May time.
The new ones have some nice croziers forming in the crowns too.Hopefully they'll wait till spring before emerging though.One of my older Dicksonia antarctica's normally only has one flush in spring,normally 20+ fronds.The others have a flush then send out the odd frond at regular intervals,I guess because they still haven't completely settled into UK seasons or established themselves yet.
Steve
Libby

Post by Libby »

I think the damp summer has been good for them. I just popped out and took a look and the one I bought from B & Q has 16 fronds but nothing elese coming up. My tiny one has to many fronds to count!

So what do people do with these for the winter? Last year the little one was in a pot so went in the greenhouse!
Someone who gave me some plants said he just put a bucket over the top of his and this is what I was going to do. I know I have to keep the crown free from water that could freeze.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Libby,

My impression is that these are tougher than most people think. We imagine that Australia has a year round summer, but that is not the case. On the coast, where most people live it may be mild but inland temperatures can fall below -10C. Obviously you know best what temperatures your garden gets, but many who have posted on other boards have just pushed fleece or straw into the crown of the leaves. 8)

They are evergreen so some activity takes place all year. If you put a bucket over the fern and exclude rain it may dry out which will not be good for it. I have never heard of any Australians going around putting buckets over the millions of these that get severe frost, they are just left to get on with it, so that is what I intend to do. Also don't remove the fronds unless killed by frost in the same way you don't defoliate other evergreens like palms. It will deprive the fern of energy for the next flush in spring. It will flush anyway, but will be drawing on reserves rather than photosynthesis from existing fronds.:wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Libby »

Oh! right! Good job I asked, thanks for that Dave. They are on the winter sun side of the patio against a large brick wall, so should do ok. :lol:

I hope!
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Yes you should be ok, unless extremely cold weather kicks in, but even if the fronds do get fried, you are no worse than when they arrive after import, with no fronds at all. As I said just protect any newlt emerging croziers (Curled up fronds) as they are more delicate. :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by mixiepalms »

simple to over winter, i leave all fronds on, then stuff a little straw into the crown. ive had one for 5 years now and no trouble.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

The Dicksonia antarctica is loving this weather, cool and very, very damp. Almost misty. :? Definately looks like it is going to flush soon, which might be a problem if we get frosts while the fronds are still unfurling. :roll:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright