Come on then coleus growers tell me how it is done.

Kristen

Re: Come on then coleus growers tell me how it is done.

Post by Kristen »

Mine are a bit overcrowded and in need of pricking out, they look ever so sweet though just starting to get some colouring :) Gawd knows what I'm going to do with so many though!
IMG_1941_Coleus.jpg
Vagetarian

Post by Vagetarian »

Mine look somehow insignificant now... :lol:

When did you sow them Kristen, and what's the one on the right? It looks a bit like my 'middle ones'. Although I'm not 100% sure what they are because I had a memory lapse at the time of planting. :lol:
Attachments
DSC_0098.JPG
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

So far I have one cell tray full and 2 seed trays full. All have colouring now. :-)
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

Vagetarian wrote:Mine look somehow insignificant now...
That's only 'coz I've obviously chucked a whole handful of seed in, instead of carefully scattering just a few so they had room to breath ...
When did you sow them
Sown 26 Feb on windowsill heated propagator (no-thermostat type), and then under Metal Halide lamp since germinated (about 11 hours each night).
what's the one on the right?
Wizard Velvet Red (left) and Wizard Scarlet (right) from Moles Seeds
Vagetarian

Post by Vagetarian »

I thought that's what they were, those are 2 of the 3 varieties I've got! So, you've also just confirmed for me that I do have my plant labels the right way around after all, lol... cheers! :D

Mine were sown about 3 weeks before yours but they've been on the floor in the conservatory, no heat or light. They've only really just started moving, hopefully they'll get somewhere by spring.

So you've already been pricking them out sanatic? Do you have them under lights or on heat too?

My cat wiped out half of my Wizard Velvet Red. :(
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

Pricked out my Wizard Scarlet yesterday, the others are still a bit small. Got 80 plants (and probably another 10 or 15 than were a bit weedy and I planted as "extras" in some pots in case some fail).

I wonder how many I need? !!!!

How far apart do you suppose they need to be planted?

I'm after a border-edge like I saw at Urban Jungle last year (they had some Iresine "Blazin Rose" as border edging, similarly)
Attachments
Coleus "Juliet Quatermaine"
Iresine "Blazin Rose"
Iresine "Blazin Rose"
Vagetarian

Post by Vagetarian »

I regularly go within 100m of Urban Jungle so I remember that garden very well and in actual fact it was much of my inspiration too.

This is not only my first time growing Coleus but also my first time planting ornamental plants in any kind of 'garden' arrangement. I've got no idea how to space them. :lol:
Last edited by Vagetarian on Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

Yeah made a start vag. I read they dont like to be crowded so I pricked some out. Just need to buy 2 more seed trays then they will be done. I havent used any heat or special lighting not even for germination. I just sowed in the trays covered with polythene bag (clear) and put on my brightest windowsill. All germinated in about 3 weeks.
Vagetarian

Post by Vagetarian »

I suspected my conservatory floor wouldn't exactly be ideal. :lol: Looks like yours are a fair bit quicker than mine and Kristens are astronomically quicker! I've got my fingers crossed that they actually get anywhere by spring.
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

Vagetarian wrote:Kristens are astronomically quicker!
Don't forget to take into account that mine (and a bunch of my other plants) are getting a quid-per-night of light supplement ... probably cheaper just to buy some fully-grown plants!
Vagetarian

Post by Vagetarian »

Indeed, I was going to mention that your lamp and heat are obviously paying off! :lol:

Where is the fun in buying plants? :D
DaveP

Post by DaveP »

It's been a good few years since I've raised Coleus from seed, but I've had a serious 'itch' for 'Palisandra' that demanded to be scratched. It's a very large leaved and lush, velvety purplish-black variety that has me wobbling every time I see it. Since it can be a tad variable from seed, I sowed several batches all together and although they are up, growth is painfully slow compared to the more conventional types. Fingers crossed I maintain my patience with these. I only want a few and will overwinter cuttings of the best in future.
Deedee

Post by Deedee »

Some of mine first planted out, (bottom left of pic) about 12" apart..

Fully grown a few weeks later ...

Vagetarian

Post by Vagetarian »

Thanks Deedee, that's really helpful icon_thumleft

Very nice photos too!
Deedee

Post by Deedee »

Thanks Vagertarian. You could allways visit an allotment near you in about may, I bought the ones in the pic (8 in total) for 50p each :D