Washingtonia Protection completed.

Las Palmas Norte

Re: Washingtonia Protection completed.

Post by Las Palmas Norte »

Here's a small 2 gallon sized Washingtonia robusta. It is showing spear damage dispite the fact it has not seen temps below 7°C / 45°F. I wonder why this happens during the winter months? It's since outgrown the issue after being moved indoors temporarily. Soil was kept reasonably dry and air circulation was provided.

Cheers, Barrie.
Attachments
W.robusta.JPG
Troppoz

Post by Troppoz »

Dave Im impressed with both the effectiveness and aesthetics of your shelter, its a work of art...

If only the UK had Christmas this time of year your gardens would be blinding! :lol:
leunerj

Post by leunerj »

Dave Brown wrote:
Simba wrote:That Washy has shot up again hasn't it..?

It's looking better than ever, you wouldn't believe the past three winters.... icon_thumleft
It has grown 18 leaves since April 2011
Here is a pic to show the difference
Think you mean 26th December 2011 Dave :wink:
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

leunerj wrote:
Dave Brown wrote:

It's looking better than ever, you wouldn't believe the past three winters.... icon_thumleft
Think you mean 26th December 2011 Dave :wink:
The date is actually wrong, as I said I was finding it hard to concentrate, but the date the pics were taken were
22/04/2011 and
28/01/2012 :wink:

As I have said before I push my luck to the limit, and have done again with the Washingtonia, as it snowed on it this morning :ahhh!:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Clive60 »

I've wrapped my small Washy and Dicksonia antarctica today, first time I've wrapped anything, mainly because it is much more frost prone here than our other garden so I thought they needed a bit more protection. I don't know whether mine will ever get anywhere near the size of yours Dave (Washy that is) :oops:
Ste

Post by Ste »

Clive60 wrote:I've wrapped my small Washy and Dicksonia antarctica today, first time I've wrapped anything, mainly because it is much more frost prone here than our other garden so I thought they needed a bit more protection. I don't know whether mine will ever get anywhere near the size of yours Dave (Washy that is) :oops:
Apparentley washingtonia's don't like being wrapped. From what ive read before they need airflow and wrapping it can cause more damage. Keep it sheltered from the rain and that will help it a lot.
shanks

Post by shanks »

Ste wrote:
Clive60 wrote:I've wrapped my small Washy and Dicksonia antarctica today, first time I've wrapped anything, mainly because it is much more frost prone here than our other garden so I thought they needed a bit more protection. I don't know whether mine will ever get anywhere near the size of yours Dave (Washy that is) :oops:
Apparentley washingtonia's don't like being wrapped. From what ive read before they need airflow and wrapping it can cause more damage. Keep it sheltered from the rain and that will help it a lot.
maybe thats what happened to my triple trunk washy, the leaves just pulled out of the middle when i unwrapped it earlier last year
shanks

Post by shanks »

Dave Brown wrote:

my european fan palm looked like the first picture but has recovered like yur washie, i wished i had read up properly on washies as i covered mine in fleece, it rotted the leaves from the stem, never thought of lights around stem, mind you i'd hate to lose something that nice, lovely palm
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

Dave Brown wrote: Here is a pic to show the difference
Its cancelled its TV licence and had the man come and remove the aerial I see? :)
shanks

Post by shanks »

what lights did you use dave?
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

The lights are incandescent rope light rated at 16w per metre. Total of 20M so 320w. The aerial is still there , it is just the palm is now almost as tall.

You should not wrap for winter. We said that as many people try to wrap a palm in October until March or April, and it will have got fungal attacks in that time. Mine has a veil to help keep freezing wind out I have the full veil down now over the last couple of day to try to keep the crown warmer. It is now ready for the snow tomorrow.
Attachments
Dave Brown - Washingtonia robusta parasol and veil protection -Chalk, Kent, England February 2012
Dave Brown - Washingtonia robusta parasol and veil protection -Chalk, Kent, England February 2012
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by shanks »

thanks dave not only practical but good looking
i only wrap when theres a really cold spell coming/snow etc except the tree fern which i do around christmas time, maybe thats wghere i went wrong, i saw gardeners world where they put mesh fencing around there tree ferns and stuffed it with straw and a tile on top to stop water getting into the crown, maybe thats the way i'll do my new one, any tips welcome of course :roll: thanks dave
nige pook

Post by nige pook »

Love these pics of your big washie Dave,hope mine may be as big one day! They do seem to have become iconic images of HTUK! And long may they coninue,the pics of course not the flippin cold weather. Nige
jimhardy

Post by jimhardy »

Heres a couple of Washys I cover from Nov-April....

I do lift the top any time temps are in the mid 40s(F),
which has been very frequent this winter icon_thumleft
11-9-11027.jpg
eddie

Post by eddie »

@Jim: I believe you have very cold winters in Iowa, just like we're having now. What's your luck with Washi's? Do you loose lot? What kind of heating do you use?
Washingtonia Trachycarpus Cordyline? Bamboos Olive tree? Bananas