gunnera in containers

Mr List

Re: gunnera in containers

Post by Mr List »

i still think the idea of no way to 'refresh' the water sounds iffy.
ponds and streams are moving water sources.
Chad

Post by Chad »

Sunshine Nick tried one without drainage holes. I don’t think it did very well.

Gunnera like to be moist, as at the edge of a stream, not in it. Traditionally they are grown in tanks with holes in the side about 6 inches up. That keeps a water reserve in the bottom so it stays moist but it lets air into the roots in the rest of the container so they can breathe.

As a rule of thumb you are pleased if you get leaves much more than twice the size of the container, so if you want a huge plant you will need a huge pot.

Chad.
Deedee

Post by Deedee »

Youv'e got me paranoid now :D ill drill a hole in the side of the new pot, luckily ive gett'n away with nowt nasty happening :mrgreen: I think i took advice from someone on another forum, Tomato Tomato lol..
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

Chad wrote:Sunshine Nick tried one without drainage holes. I don’t think it did very well.

Gunnera like to be moist, as at the edge of a stream, not in it. Traditionally they are grown in tanks with holes in the side about 6 inches up. That keeps a water reserve in the bottom so it stays moist but it lets air into the roots in the rest of the container so they can breathe.

As a rule of thumb you are pleased if you get leaves much more than twice the size of the container, so if you want a huge plant you will need a huge pot.

Chad.
where the hell can you get large pots like that which are decorative
ie
green / terrocotta, no handles
?
ash101uk

Post by ash101uk »

I had some Gunnera in pots last year. I got these off a friend and didn't know where to put them, so in pots they went.

The pots were the largest B&Q plastic ones I could get. They did require loads of water, every few days.

One question with Gunnera. Once divided do they take a couple of years to get big? or will they be big the following year?
Attachments
DSC_6999_lr[1].jpg
DSC_6968[1].jpg
flounder

Post by flounder »

Ash I'm sure I've seen that photo before icon_scratch if I have its still brilliant, if not, wow :shock:

My gunnera is in a dustbin, small drainage holes drilled about a foot up needs dividing again this year
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

any pics?
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

if they get too big can they be reduced\controlled ?
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

The Codfather wrote:if they get too big can they be reduced\controlled ?
Sell on eBay, buy a new one, pocket the profit icon_thumleft
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

Ash.....Your Dicksonia antarctica looks great...does it get full sun as I was thinking of putting mine next to my arbour but it does get alot of sun....
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
ash101uk

Post by ash101uk »

Ash.....Your Dicksonia antarctica looks great...does it get full sun as I was thinking of putting mine next to my arbour but it does get alot of sun....
The Dicksonia gets sun from 10-11 o'clock onwards in summer. I do water this frequently while watering the Gunnera.
call

Post by call »

now thats an idea
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

ash101uk wrote:
The Dicksonia gets sun from 10-11 o'clock onwards in summer. I do water this frequently while watering the Gunnera.

icon_thumright
AKA - Martin

huporhaha

Post by huporhaha »

Mine are huge - planted at the side of two streams in the garden - they creep too - and wander all over the place horizontally - I have one that is about 8 feet wide and 12 feet long in winter - meandering all over the place. They seed everywhere too - most of mine are downwind from one that someone planted in their garden about 20 years ago so I have not had to buy them. There are two in the ditch in the lane - not offspring from mine but offspring from one that was in the other person's garden.

They won't reach full size if contained and like Chad says, they want a continual supply of water in the growing season but prefer stream-side to being actually waterlogged or in water. I'm lucky because I have a big garden that will "house" a lot of big leafed plants - feed well if contained and give some drainage too but water well as well.
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

i wonder if it is worth gowing with the gunnera if it will be permanently in a pot.

would that ornamental rhubarb be better?
i don't mind the fuss of dividing and repotting the gunnera every few years if it is the one that will give the biggest leaves for the pot size.