osmanthus fragrans

MikeC

osmanthus fragrans

Post by MikeC »

Whilst perusing the web found this interesting evergreen tree. It's new to me so apologies if it's well known.

There seems to be an orange variety that has bright orange flowers.

osmanthus fragrans var. aurantiacus

What makes it an interesting tree is it is evergreen with dark shiny leaves, flowers are eye catching and appear in late autumn and in winter and are very intensely fragrant.

It's only hardy to about -5, so perfect for a garden on the south coast or similar.
Alexander

Re: osmanthus fragrans

Post by Alexander »

So we can forget about that plant in the freesing Low Countries!

I guess 2 weeks of subzero weather with lows down to -10 to .17 is to much for it

Alexander
Troppoz

Post by Troppoz »

Have never seen the orange flowering form - its stunning! I have 2 growing here, they are slow and dont seem to deal with competition very well. My mother has a large one in her garden in Canberra. Sees frosts to -9c without flinching and when it flowers the scent is superb. The whole neighbourhood knows about it...
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

A coupple of years ago I went to Northern Intaly in early autumn. Everywhere you had that sweet sent! The shrub itself is not that beautifull, it was the green one, but the sent is heavenly.

Well I wished it could take 2 weeks of deepfreeze with lows of -16!

Alexander
rajah99

Post by rajah99 »

Hi

Does anyone actually have a Osmanthus fragrans growing in the UK? ( Not necessarily the aurantiacus variation)
I ask because it seems incredibly difficult to locate anyone selling it in UK, though many are selling other types of Osmanthus, but i believe the "fragrans" is the most heavily scented out of all. I want to grow it in conservatory in a pot, and many said it is a slow grower and can take regular pruning to keep it in size.

I can only find the following readily available for sale:

Osmanthus Delavayii
Osmanthus Heterophyllus Goshiki
Osmanthus Heterophyllus Variegatus
Osmanthus x Burkwoodii
stephenprudence

Post by stephenprudence »

Osmanthus fragrans certainly had tropical written all over it!

I have Osmanthus x burkwoodii, not greatly scented, but makes a good small tree and is very hardy.

Osmanthus delavayi has the best scent though I think.
rajah99

Post by rajah99 »

You think delavayi is a scented as fragrans?
Would you say it fills a room, or its something you have to smell at close quarters?
charliepridham

Post by charliepridham »

O fragrans is a much stronger scent, spotted these in California and tried to source them here in the UK, found someone who listed it (Chris Pattison) but his experience was that it never survived outside undamaged, that it got smaller year on year and that he could only produce them in a heated greenhouse so he had stopped doing it. (This was prior to the 2 cold winters)
rajah99

Post by rajah99 »

id like to keep it potted in a heated conservatory. might try and source one. Only found one source so far, Burncoose, and reasonably priced, but shipping takes it to £30, which is a bit much.
Dim

Post by Dim »

for inland, Osmanthus × burkwoodii is the one that some guys on another forum say is hardy .... (and smells good aswell) .... I have never ever planted one at client's gardens, but may try one at my own home ....

http://www.crocus.co.uk/plants/_/osmant ... ssid.4171/

crocus say it's full hardy ....

-------------------------------------------------------------

this site says OSMANTHUS fragrans should be planted against a wall but is only hardy to 0 degrees C (so should be good in a conservatory):

http://www.burncoose.co.uk/site/plants.cfm?pl_id=3044
-------------------------------------------

and these are reputed to be the hardy ones according to another forum :
Osmanthus heterophyllus
Osmanthus delavayii
Osmanthus decorus
Osmanthus delacourii
Dim

Post by Dim »

if you want a large shrub that smells really good, and is hardy, try clerodendrum trichotomum (glory tree) ... I work at a garden in Cambridge, and there is one 2 houses away ... the fragrance is very strong (but pleasant)

plant it near a Mock Orange Philadelphus Innocence x lemoinei and you will have good fragrance for a long period during summer/late summer
stephenprudence

Post by stephenprudence »

Osmanthus x burkwoodii doesn't really have a scent unless you can go right up to the flower, it's nothing like O. delavayi.. and given how fragrant O. delavayi is, then if O. fragrans is more fragrant then it will be a seriously powerful scent.
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

In Northern Italy I have seen plenty O. fragans in the autumn a couple of years ago. They where flowering and the scent was sublime! Well a shrub to try if you can! And I guess not difficuld to buy in Italy!

Alexander
Last edited by Alexander on Sun May 19, 2013 5:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

Esveld in Boskoop has several frosthardy Osmanthus on his website.

Alexander