stripping palm trunks

Alexander

Re: stripping palm trunks

Post by Alexander »

Nigel wrote:
Dave Brown wrote:
Alexander wrote:that a palm without fibres would look more tropical is nonesence.
Alexander
Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder Alexander :wink: To me it does look more tropical, even if you don't agree :lol:
Dave, your palm looks fantastic , Trachys look much better when stripped in my opinion, the bare trunk evokes memories of coconut palms.

Alexander, during the process of stripping a trachycarpus the fibre is stripped from the woody trunk not from the growing point. The trunk of Trachycarpus is extremely cold tolerant and there is no history of trunk damage from freezes, the tender part is the bud which is tucked into the apex and this portion is not subject to being stripped, so it remains protected by the fibre and therefore the palms cold tolerance is not affected.
I know.

Well in milder areas it should not be a problem. But in our climate here I would not advice it. Not with those deepfreeze winters. I guess when you get sunshine with -10 at the bare trunk it could cause damage. Difference in temperature of the trunk could cause damage with heavy frost. It happens sometimes in native trees. So why not with a more tender palm. The hear will prefend the trunk from warming up to quickly.

Alexander
Las Palmas Norte

Post by Las Palmas Norte »

Maybe the key to stripping fiber is to not be too aggressive. This past spring (2011) I started one for the first time in nearly 30 years of growing T. fortunei. On this one below, only about 6" was removed. A gradual proccess may be the best approach. Some old trees exibit that habit without our intervention.

Cheers, Barrie.
Attachments
Sept-07-11 003b.jpg
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Alexander wrote:Well in milder areas it should not be a problem. But in our climate here I would not advice it. Not with those deepfreeze winters. I guess when you get sunshine with -10 at the bare trunk it could cause damage. Difference in temperature of the trunk could cause damage with heavy frost. It happens sometimes in native trees. So why not with a more tender palm. The hear will prefend the trunk from warming up to quickly.

Alexander
Alexander, some of the cultivated fortuneis in China are growing in areas that regularly go to -15C or more as you know. If you have looked at the pics you will see the trunks are stripped ! Trachys dont suffer frost damage to trunks !
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

call wrote:stripping the trunks make them look exotic but leaving the fibres on can create planting pockets for broms and clorophytum :D
I`m with you on this one, I grow nasturtiums in mine. icon_thumright
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

Nathan after your post re Butia I have decided to go for a pub lunch this weekend in Abersoch. As it is such a small town I shouldn't have to much trouble finding the flats. Watch this space. icon_thumright icon_thumright icon_thumright
call

Post by call »

jungle jas wrote:
call wrote:stripping the trunks make them look exotic but leaving the fibres on can create planting pockets for broms and clorophytum :D
exactly
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

call wrote:
jungle jas wrote:
exactly
Been there, done that, but prefer a palm to be a palm, not a plant pot :lol:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Nathan »

jungle jas wrote:Nathan after your post re Butia I have decided to go for a pub lunch this weekend in Abersoch. As it is such a small town I shouldn't have to much trouble finding the flats. Watch this space. icon_thumright icon_thumright icon_thumright
Don't forget your camera icon_thumright
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Dave Brown wrote:
Been there, done that, but prefer a palm to be a palm, not a plant pot :lol:
Exactly :wink:
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

I`m with you on this one, I grow nasturtiums in mine. icon_thumright[/quote]
exactly[/quote]

Been there, done that, but prefer a palm to be a palm, not a plant pot :lol:[/quote]

Dave, I`m not sure plugging your palm into the national grid and lighting it up like a Christmas tree could be be called looking like a palm. icon_geek icon_geek icon_geek
At least plants growing in Trachycarpus trunks happens in nature. icon_thumright icon_thumright icon_thumright
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

Nathan wrote:
jungle jas wrote:Nathan after your post re Butia I have decided to go for a pub lunch this weekend in Abersoch. As it is such a small town I shouldn't have to much trouble finding the flats. Watch this space. icon_thumright icon_thumright icon_thumright
Don't forget your camera icon_thumright
What`s a camera. icon_scratch icon_scratch icon_scratch
shanks

Post by shanks »

jungle jas wrote:
thank everyone, mgiht try some plants on them instead just like you see on hols
MonkeyDavid

Post by MonkeyDavid »

Adrian wrote:If and when you get several mature Trachys in your garden then you will see the benefit of having something different.
I wouldnt be without having Trachycarpus as they should be covered in fibre but having a few stripped Trachys is like having another species in your garden.
Its massively more different than having 10 or however many different Trachycarpus fortunei's are being sold that all look the same, its also cheap to achieve in a short time.
Couldn't agree more, living in the midlands there is only Trachycarpus's that are reliably hardy. If I want other palms they will probably need winter protection & there's only so many things I'm willing to go to that trouble for every year. I'd love a garden full of palms but if they have to be Trachycarpus's at least stripping some will give the illusion of more species
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

Well here is the infamous 'Lleyn Peninsula' Butia. Photo taken from 'Chamaerops' the EPS Journal...

The location of the palm is (or was) in the garden of Haulfryn Coach House in Abersoch, which has been turned into flats. There are also mature Chamaerops humilis & Trachycarpus fortunei there, as well as other exotics, maybe you could take a look to see if the Butia is indeed now dead...[/quote]

Nathan as promised I took a trip to Abersoch to see if Butia was still alive, unfortunately there was no one in the house so I could not ask anyone the relevant questions, however as you stated the garden is full of trachycarpus, chamaerops and Phoenix canariensis_CIDP. The garden is surrounded by a low wall that you can see over and there was no sign of the Butia so I could only assume that you are correct and the butia has died. The CIPD and chamaerops looked well, however, the trachycarpus looked a little worse for wear due entirely to the windswept location as it is on top of a rocky promentary overlooking the sea. The soil in the area is a dark fertile soil and free draining, therefore, I can actually see no reason why the butia would have died. There are many palms all over the village so this is obviously a very mild but windswept area. Attached is a photo of a double avenue of trachycarpus which is the first I've seen in the uk. regards Jas
Just tried to post photo but the file is too big so will resize and send later.
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

Hi Nathan herewith the photo as promised. Not bad for the pathway to the follie.
Attachments
trac 4.jpg
trac 4.jpg (16.54 KiB) Viewed 1087 times