Cocos nucifera

Mike G

Cocos nucifera

Post by Mike G »

About this time last year i tried to germinate a shop baught seed of Cocos nucifera (Coconut) I Had it in a pot for Several months however the tiny root had succumbed to rot. But i am now going to give it another go i will keep you all posted on my progress!
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Re: Cocos nucifera

Post by Dave Brown »

I don't think all Coconuts are viable and they normally suggest getting one with the husk on stands a better chance. If you just bought one from a shop and germinated it, you have done pretty well. icon_thumright They like plenty of water, but with very good drainage to get air into the soil. Temps need to be higher than for most, and humidity as high as possible with it.

Not the easiest palm to suceed with, but let us know how you get on.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Adrian »

Mike K and a few others have just germinated shop bought coconuts, threads on the EPS.
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

This is mine, bought for 50p from Tesco. I soaked it in a bucket of water for 48 hours then placed inside a bag of damp perlite & kept it in my heated propagator icon_thumleft

Picture was taken in November & it has now been potted up into a mix of compost, perlite & river sand.
Attachments
IMG01470-20111114-1648.jpg
Addictedtopalms26

Post by Addictedtopalms26 »

wow Nathan i've never seen a coconut sprout, great picture! icon_thumleft its like a bigger version of a trachycarpus seed lol

I'm tempted to give this a go now! I wonder what the germination rate is like, might have to buy a few... haha
flounder

Post by flounder »

that is a trachycarpus seed, he's got really small hands :D
On the complex I stayed on in mexico, these were germinating everywhere. The gardeners were cursing the fact they had to go round clearing them up......I was trying to work out if a couple of them would take me over the allowable baggage wait :lol:
call

Post by call »

sounds like a good idea might try
i am already doing dates and ive tried pineapple but it failed need a fresher top
and might try avacado
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

flounder wrote:that is a trachycarpus seed, he's got really small hands :D
On the complex I stayed on in mexico, these were germinating everywhere. The gardeners were cursing the fact they had to go round clearing them up......I was trying to work out if a couple of them would take me over the allowable baggage wait :lol:
How long do those Mexicanos make your baggage WAIT then ???
flounder

Post by flounder »

Oh yeah, senior moment.....weight a minute, I'll change it :wink:
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

flounder wrote:that is a trachycarpus seed, he's got really small hands :D
You got me, I'm related to Jeremy Beadle... :lol:
flounder

Post by flounder »