My palms see daylight after 4 months in the garage

Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

My palms see daylight after 4 months in the garage

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Begrudgingly I pulled most of my plants out of the garage. They have only be in the garage for 4 months (they were in 6 months last year) but I can't ignore the decent weather forecasts. Hopefully they will benefit from the sunlight and fresh air and it wont turn cold again.

Yorkshire Kris

Re: My palms see daylight after 4 months in the garage

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Just out of interest and to see if it was worth protecting my palms I left a small cerifera in a large pot outside all winter. Today it spear pulled and all the leaves look very dodgy. I had around 20 days in a row where the temp went below 0 with many -5s and -6s with one -7.
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

All looking good.........what temp was the greenhouse running at and were you giving those collies bottom heat......also, what size is it......the mrs said I should build somthing like it.....to keep my smaller things in like you have and use the garage again as I have this winter........in other words replicate your current setup.....I suppose it means I aint using space up in the garden which I can then plant in.
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
lee-ann

Post by lee-ann »

Some lovely looking plants :mrgreen:
Yorkshire Kris

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

The Codfather wrote:All looking good.........what temp was the greenhouse running at and were you giving those collies bottom heat......also, what size is it......the mrs said I should build somthing like it.....to keep my smaller things in like you have and use the garage again as I have this winter........in other words replicate your current setup.....I suppose it means I aint using space up in the garden which I can then plant in.

The greenhouse is tiny 6 by 4 foot. I use fan heater on 1kw setting. Normally temp around 10-14 degrees this winter. As the space is so small a few seconds of the heater on can bring the temp up to around 20 degrees.
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

Yorkshire Kris wrote:Just out of interest and to see if it was worth protecting my palms I left a small cerifera in a large pot outside all winter. Today it spear pulled and all the leaves look very dodgy. I had around 20 days in a row where the temp went below 0 with many -5s and -6s with one -7.
I had a 12" Trachycarpus out planted un protected....similar temps as yours........so far so good.....but its only early. Also, I have had a big chammy out in a pot.....only protect was fleece cover and thats it.
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Yorkshire Kris wrote:Begrudgingly I pulled most of my plants out of the garage. They have only be in the garage for 4 months
Blimey Kris :shock: we only had a 2 week winter here, started 3 weeks ago. Protected my Washie at beginning of Feb, and as soon as the wind dies down it will be coming off again :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
Yorkshire Kris

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Dave Brown wrote:
Yorkshire Kris wrote:Begrudgingly I pulled most of my plants out of the garage. They have only be in the garage for 4 months
Blimey Kris :shock: we only had a 2 week winter here, started 3 weeks ago. Protected my Washie at beginning of Feb, and as soon as the wind dies down it will be coming off again :wink:
JANUART TEMPS HIGH LOW
13 5.4 -3.1
14 3.6 -5.1
15 0.7 -5.9
16 2.9 -5.8
17 3 -6
18 11 -3
19 8 4.4
20 8.9 3.8
21 9.9 5.8
22 9.8 4.8
23 7.3 2.1
24 5.1 1.6
25 9.4 6.9
26 6.1 1.8
27 5.9 0.6
28 6.6 -0.6
29 2.8 -1.2
30 4.8 -0.6

FEB 2012
Days Max. T. Min. T.
1 4.7 -0.9
2 3.1 -2.5
3 3 -5.2
4 0.9 -7
5 6.2 -5.5
6 8.1 -0.3
7 4.4 -2.9
8 1.8 -6.6
9 1.3 -5.9
10 1.5 -3.4
11 5.8 -6.1

Above are the temps of my winter. If I had left them out in those temps a lot would be dead. Potted palms are far more likely to die compared with planted palms.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

I move stuff in and out again as the weather changes
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
Yorkshire Kris

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Dave Brown wrote:I move stuff in and out again as the weather changes
If I was bigger, stronger and had more time I would do that. It's like a jigsaw putting it all away in the garage. Some are very heavy as well. I should really fix my sack truck. I now have a sore back icon_thumbdown
Panama Pete

Post by Panama Pete »

Thats right, it is a jigsaw. they never go back as they went in, How long is the warm spell gonna last? icon_sunny
Yorkshire Kris

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Panama Pete wrote:Thats right, it is a jigsaw. they never go back as they went in, How long is the warm spell gonna last? icon_sunny

It's over now in the north :lol:

The south have got another 24 hours.

No frosts for a while though.
Panama Pete

Post by Panama Pete »

We had 17oc today in sunny nottingham. Still a while to go yet, i need to pull all mine out but its a back breaker!
kracker

Post by kracker »

Took mine out today i even planted a couple that i purchased over the sales i bought two palms of fleabay identical in size on was kept in the conservatory and the other in the garage with a grow light 10 hrs on a night and no heat today i paired them together the garage one i slightly bigger so a good swig of palm-booster for all ...happy days
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Yorkshire Kris wrote:
Dave Brown wrote:I move stuff in and out again as the weather changes
If I was bigger, stronger and had more time I would do that. It's like a jigsaw putting it all away in the garage.
I photgraph it then move out in order, and back in, in order icon_thumright
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright