Cyperus Papyrus

Amberforce

Cyperus Papyrus

Post by Amberforce » Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:02 pm

Hello All,

I bought a Cyperus Papyrus to stand near my pond last year because they look amazing. I have overwintered it indoors, watering it regularly, but I was concerned that, although other plants were putting on good growth, there was nothing from the CP. The stems were brown as if they had died for the winter, but i'm sure that someone on these forums said that they should continue to grow through winter if in the correct environment.
I decided to slide it out of its pot to look at the roots and to my amazement they were rotten. Can someone explain to me how this can happen when they are supposed to be in a wet environment anyway? To re-iterate, I have watered it regularly, but it has never been stood in water.

Thanks a lot.

Nigel Fear

Re: Cyperus Papyrus

Post by Nigel Fear » Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:12 pm

They can be very difficult to keep alive at the best of times, but a good alternative would be Cyperus alternifolius, which is much hardier outside, where it will come back from the roots, or will stay evergreen indoors.

Amberforce

Post by Amberforce » Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:24 pm

Thanks Nigel. But I just wonder what I could have done better? I will take your advice and try to source the alternifolius. But, like most people on these boards, we like to grow the things that are difficult :D

shed

Post by shed » Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:06 pm

I've successfully killed 2, probably won't be the last either. A 2L pot got up to 6ft or so here last year despite the low temps. I'm guessing they needed high light and high humidity, both absent indoors over winter here.

Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris » Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:27 pm

I've killed lots of these in winter. That hate being dug up and not getting warm sun on them . Better to grow from seed and overwinter when small and quite dry. Worked for me.

Mick C

Post by Mick C » Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:49 pm

I've always failed to keep them alive over winter but they are easy from seed. I haven't tried Kris's method but it sounds like a good idea - one for next year.

Jo A P

Post by Jo A P » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:37 am

I don't feel so bad about killing mine now!