The (100 PLANT) Ricinus Jungle! (Updated 29 June)

gdudey

Re: The (100 PLANT) Ricinus Jungle! (Updated 29 June)

Post by gdudey »

Just wave at them they soon butter off

I like those Ricinus plants, I'll try them next year when I've hopefully finished digging.
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

I know exactly why the helicopter was there. They're taking photo's at the request of the Council because somebody reported residents illegally extending their gardens into our leasehold land. A week ago, one clueless individual came banging on my door threatening me because I had dared to erect a fence at the bottom of her illegally extended garden.

She reported me to the council and got them out last Tuseday. They informed her that she was the one who had twice as much garden as she should have.

Even better, she'd already rallied up the neighbours to report me to the local Green Party councillor, who in turn contacted the Council and was informed by them about the 12 properties extending into our leasehold land.

The interesting thing is that the Council are under the false impression that this leasehold land is Council allotment land. For two years they have deflected questions and put up a wall of silence. Now a hornet's nest has been stirred and they can't pretend anymore.

It's such a long complicated story - I'm going to have to put everything up in my BLOG.
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Kyle wrote:I know exactly why the helicopter was there. They're taking photo's at the request of the Council because somebody reported residents illegally extending their gardens into our leasehold land. A week ago, one clueless individual came banging on my door threatening me because I had dared to erect a fence at the bottom of her illegally extended garden.

She reported me to the council and got them out last Tuseday. They informed her that she was the one who had twice as much garden as she should have.

Even better, she'd already rallied up the neighbours to report me to the local Green Party councillor, who in turn contacted the Council and was informed by them about the 12 properties extending into our leasehold land.

The interesting thing is that the Council are under the false impression that this leasehold land is Council allotment land. For two years they have deflected questions and put up a wall of silence. Now a hornet's nest has been stirred and they can't pretend anymore.

It's such a long complicated story - I'm going to have to put everything up in my BLOG.
Keep up the good work and fight for what is yours! icon_hockey

Delboy wrote:I was reading up on these as i have 2 young boys, so i have previously avoided growing them.
Apparently a child would need to eat a huge qty of the seeds to do any harm.
I read that even eating one would be a feat in itself due to how bad they taste.

I am planning on removing any flowers before they go to seed, but i planted them at the back of the border out of reach just as a precaution.

Even now, even after what i have read im debating digging them up......just in case.

My 2 plants are about 12-18 tall, grown from seed....slowly.
I'm pretty sure one seed could kill a child. The whole plant is poisionous and the seeds are lethal. Please don't go testing this out though!
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Kyle wrote:I know exactly why the helicopter was there. They're taking photo's at the request of the Council because somebody reported residents illegally extending their gardens into our leasehold land. A week ago, one clueless individual came banging on my door threatening me because I had dared to erect a fence at the bottom of her illegally extended garden.

Kyle if you go on the land registry site and do an advanced map search for £4 on your plot, what comes back on the plan? As from a legal standpoint this should outline the official boundaries that you own.

If it were me once I had this map in my hand i'd be going into the neighbours illegal extensions with a sledgehammer and claiming them back, erecting fences along the way
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

cordyman wrote:

Kyle if you go on the land registry site and do an advanced map search for £4 on your plot, what comes back on the plan? As from a legal standpoint this should outline the official boundaries that you own.

If it were me once I had this map in my hand i'd be going into the neighbours illegal extensions with a sledgehammer and claiming them back, erecting fences along the way
We have both a Freehold and a Leasehold. On Land Registry, the freehold shows the area we thought was the only thing we were buying. Later, we discovered the lease within our deeds. It has a detailed description of an additional piece of land that was leased from the Council for 999 years back in 1931. This area was used by the original builder of our house who quarried stone out of the valley to build it.

Obviously, the war happened soon after and emergency powers were granted to Councils to use all available land for growing. Once the war ended, the original owner had moved on and the subsequent owner doesn't appear to have realised what he'd inherited. The council (for whatever reason) planted a forest on this land in the 1960's. The lease has passed on through every subsequent owner since with nobody understanding what they are potentially sitting on. We're talking a significant area of land. Stick the satellite up on it and you'll see how the Council have allowed everyone to encroach on it as garden extensions over the years.

So the area we are debating is officially registered as council land on Land Registry. We are just leasing it from them for another 908 years.

To say they are panicking is an understatement. Helicopters recording from the sky, letters going out to the households, and a land surveillance team already going ahead within a week of that complaint. :D
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Kyle wrote:
cordyman wrote:

We have both a Freehold and a Leasehold. On Land Registry, the freehold shows the area we thought was the only thing we were buying. Later, we discovered the lease within our deeds. It has a detailed description of an additional piece of land that was leased from the Council for 999 years back in 1931. This area was used by the original builder of our house who quarried stone out of the valley to build it.

Obviously, the war happened soon after and emergency powers were granted to Councils to use all available land for growing. Once the war ended, the original owner had moved on and the subsequent owner doesn't appear to have realised what he'd inherited. The council (for whatever reason) planted a forest on this land in the 1960's. The lease has passed on through every subsequent owner since with nobody understanding what they are potentially sitting on. We're talking a significant area of land. Stick the satellite up on it and you'll see how the Council have allowed everyone to encroach on it as garden extensions over the years.

So the area we are debating is officially registered as council land on Land Registry. We are just leasing it from them for another 908 years.

To say they are panicking is an understatement. Helicopters recording from the sky, letters going out to the households, and a land surveillance team already going ahead within a week of that complaint. :D

Great to hear youve got the upper hand.

That house on the corner has treated themselves to almost 85% land grab!!! :shock:
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

cordyman wrote:Great to hear youve got the upper hand.

That house on the corner has treated themselves to almost 85% land grab!!! :shock:
Yep. And that and it's neighbour have successfully registered it as privately owned by them on Land Registry. None of the others have though.

Can you imagine the panic behind the scenes? How I'd love to be a fly on the wall in those offices right now.
Panama Pete

Post by Panama Pete »

Will anyone being selling any seeds anytime soon? Let me know, I want purple variety.

Let me know, and any new pics to post? these look brilliant plants.
Mick C

Post by Mick C »

That's a humungous area of land you've got Kyle, It hardly seems worth battling with your neighbours over the amount that they have pinched, unless you're just sufficiently peeved with them to make an issue of it.

Do you have any ideas about what you plan to do with it? Presumably you have become an earl or a lord or something.
jimhardy

Post by jimhardy »

Picture of some
Castor bean plants now off topic :lol:

http://s297.photobucket.com/albums/mm22 ... 0_5453.jpg
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

How did the Jungle pan out at the end of season Kyle? any pics? or did the rubbish summer ruin it icon_scratch

The two Ricinus Zanzi's I grown got to around 5 foot.
Blairs

Post by Blairs »

I want to know how the land grab turned out! Did the council make them give up the gardens that they stole? Are they liable for rent for all the land taken over the years? What has happened?
derrick

Post by derrick »

I need to order some more seeds soon from Jungle seeds maybe . I have to plants from last year in my unheated conservatory not dead yet
Attachments
DSCF3233.JPG
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

derrick wrote:I need to order some more seeds soon from Peter White's maybe . I have to plants from last year in my unheated conservatory not dead yet

when do they seed? mine all got scorched by frost before any flowers
Caprier

Post by Caprier »

I'm dying to know how the property wrangle progressed, too!
If anyone wants some ricinus seed, let me know.....I've got 'Carmencita' and a black-leaved, black-flowered variety. Happy to post it to UK at cost.....