Paulownia Tomentosa from Seed - What Next?

Kristen

Paulownia Tomentosa from Seed - What Next?

Post by Kristen »

I sowed the tiniest pinch of seed from the packet I bought. I reckon they have all germinated, there are about 30 seedlings. I don't suppose I need that many, or could find homes for the spares?

I'll prick out some of them and grow them on.

What can I expect, time-wise? How long until the plant is big enough to stool - should I let it grow a couple of years before the first cut-to-a-foot?

How long before some decent sized leaves?

Anything else I should be doing with the young plants to hurry-them-up or to look after them?
JoelR

Re: Paulownia Tomentosa from Seed - What Next?

Post by JoelR »

For me planted out, they didn't survive their first winter but those planted in year two did fine. Best to get well established over three or four years before pollarding.
tropical Tom

Post by tropical Tom »

I've had two attempts from seed, as you have said, easy to germinate, but I've lost al in seedling stage so my advice is to try different methods for growing on, at least then you'll see which ones are doing best!

Good luck :D
pdid

Post by pdid »

I have 5 which I grew from seed last year, I grew in cells and then potted on once roots were poking out of the bottom of the cells.

They didn`t get very large in their 1st year, this could be down to my inexperience though.
paulownia.jpg
4 of the 5 were overwintered in my garage with no light and one was overwintered in my heated con (this is the smallest and looks the least happy).

All are showing buds so should begin spring growth in the not too distant future.

3 years growth before copicing from the info I have read. A couple of these will be going spare as I only have a small garden.
flounder

Post by flounder »

Tried twice with these, first time a robin got in my greenhouse and turfed the freshly sown tray off the staging. Second time I turfed the freshly sown tray off the staging. Third time lucky maybe
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

Glad I asked. Fidlly to get under way then ... I'll pot up plenty and see how many I can keep alive. I was expecting them to grow to 6' in first year given how well they grow after stooling.

Thanks all.
grub

Post by grub »

The pictures of Paulownia in my photos were taken 2nd year from seed icon_thumright
callin

Post by callin »

Hi Kristen and everybody,
i found some mature specimen of Paulownia -Princess Tree and I collected seeds in november 2010.
It s sayed that a picture is = 1000 words, soo...
please find below 9000 words about my paulownia experiment from february to august 2011.
1.ht.jpg
4.ht.jpg
5.ht.jpg
6.ht.jpg
7.ht.jpg
8.ht.jpg
9.ht.jpg
pdid

Post by pdid »

You did well with those call, I didn`t start mine until July and they were about the size of those in your 5th picture before being tucked up for winter.
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

callin wrote:my paulownia experiment from february to august 2011.
That's really exciting what you managed to achieve, FingersCrossed that I can do half-way as well icon_thumleft
callin

Post by callin »

thanks Kristen
Pdid you started soo late, can you start sowing now?
I used 24 h fluorescent light on them for more then a month.
I planted the first batch in the ground in April, but from the cold died100%. Tryed again in the middle of May with the second batch and you"ve seen the results.
this winter I protected them with corn stems and leaves. can t wait to check on them, those seedligs took -23C and a lot of -15C, but the ground was covered with thick layer 70 cm of snow.
I will cut them to ground level this spring, I ve read that in plantations they cut them in 6 monts from sowing. Also should be cut if they don t grow at least 2 meters in the previous growing seson.
Best luck with yours.
Calin icon_thumleft icon_thumright
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

callin wrote: I used 24 h fluorescent light on them for more then a month.
My seedlings are under lights too - they are sufficiently small that I won't be able to prick them out for a while, so I thought I'd give them light to stop them getting leggy / keep them stocky.
Blairs

Post by Blairs »

This has saved me for asking a question. I have lost all my seedlings every winter due to frost and botrytis. I will try again this year and keep the seedlings frost free in the garage to see if that helps.
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

How is everyone growing these from seed? surface sow them? heated prop? I got a seedling last year and it topped at 10 ft in a season..I wanted more so I got some seed this year and will take any advice on how to get a few extras
Blairs

Post by Blairs »

They seem to germinate readily with some bottom heat. Biggest problem for me is keeping them overwinter.

10ft in a season is wow! I think I got 9 inches at tops. Even the seedlings had quite large leaves.