Cause of rust on agave?

nicebutdim

Cause of rust on agave?

Post by nicebutdim »

I always thought rust or brown dead patches on agaves was caused by frost but mine have been damaged recently when there hasn't been any.Does anyone know what I can do do prevent it.The plant is green and white/yellow stripe that I believe is agave americana
palmking

Re: Cause of rust on agave?

Post by palmking »

Agave Americana Variegata - I have a decent sized one I have tried for a few years to minimise rot/damage and failed, with the plants taking all summer to recover the lost leaves, only to become damaged in the Autumn.

The 'rust' you describe often deteriorates into more extensive leaf damage.

The key to keeping these plants in 'tiptop' condition is keeping them dry. Do this and even the damage 'scars' over and the plant will recover.

I moved mine under a tree canopy in March,which is 'bone dry' throught the year. Planted in a handful of rich soil and it is recovering dramatically. No amount of soil drainage in a wetter area of the garden helped and unless I decided to build a significantly raised and sloped bed, was the easiest option.

I still have a mini greenhouse over my other agave/aloes(aloe Broomii, Aristata), (Agave Americana 'Blue' , A.Ferox) in the wetter area of my garden as of today!

The other's including Yucca's/A.Americana 'Blue', a selection of Opuntias, Beschornia etc are again on a virtually(throughout the year) bone dry bed.

Paul
bodster

Post by bodster »

it wasn't an iron agave was it?
mikefromniagara6b

Post by mikefromniagara6b »

You might try a systemic fungicide like benomyl or .... Succulents can often get a rust fungus on them after a wet cool winter. MINE DID!

If you cannot get a systemic fungicide then try sulphur powder or copper suplhate solution.

Hope this helps!

mikefromniagara6b
nicebutdim

Post by nicebutdim »

bodster wrote:it wasn't an iron agave was it?
THE american variegata description seems to be accurate so I guess that's the one,it is in an open position at the moment so I will move it into a dryer spot.In saying that though, I have just realised a second one I have is totally exposed and the pot is full of water and has been for most of the winter yet it doesn't have any blemished at all.
bodster

Post by bodster »

Well that one fell flat didn't it? Come on guys... rust...iron... It wasn't that complicated a joke :)