Show Us Your Hostas

GoggleboxUK

Show Us Your Hostas

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Thought it would be a good place to show off your plants and discuss tactics for keeping them looking their best.

Here's my Empress Wu:

Not sure what varieties these are:

kata

Re: Show Us Your Hostas

Post by kata »

Everything is so slow, looks like the Hostas are too,

At least yours are keeping 'clean' G if a tad slow.

Whats the long strappy plant, I believe I have a few of those from last year.

icon_cheers
cartel

Post by cartel »

I grew all mine from seed about 15 years ago and never do anything but water them, they are grown in an area that I put down about 2-3in of chipped bark, they hardly ever get eaten by slugs and snails. The one I keep in a pot at the other end of the garden is always chewed to bits come opening time.
The 2 pics I've attached have stunned me, the first is this years growth, they've only been on the move for a couple of weeks and will eventually fill the bed but the 2nd pic from the 20th May last year shows how much further on they were, I can't believe the difference!!
This years growth
This years growth
Same time last year was a different story
Same time last year was a different story
flounder

Post by flounder »

I was going to go out, take a couple of 'pitchas' but its raining....and you've all seen what a snail looks like :roll:
Two do look alright though sum and substance and that other one, bluish leaves, bog standard....wotitsname :?
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Wow Dee, that's a massive difference! Just shows how slow everything is compared to last year.

Seeing yours in the ground has convinced me, I'm off out to plant mine now.

;)
kata

Post by kata »

Wheres Dee.... :mrgreen:

Do ya mean Cartel G?
Deedee

Post by Deedee »

Here i am hahahaha
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

Can't. Camera needs a new charger :ahhh!:

Won't. Too embarrassed :oops: Slug damage :(
Deedee

Post by Deedee »

Looking at these from last year, i think there going to be bigger.. Loads of pellets gogs, nowt else for it...

Going to work, see you all later. :mrgreen:
kata

Post by kata »

Very nice Dee..
Here i am hahahaha
Like the proverbial Dee....you were hiding.

Work, where, at what?

:lol: :lol:

Hostas are one I hav'nt grown...those and ferns. icon_cheers
Nigel Fear

Post by Nigel Fear »

Just checked mine, and there is not one leaf that hasn't been munched on, Ligularia too. :twisted:
I've now stuck them out the front, only trouble there is, I seldom water plants out there, and usually keep drought resistant stuff out the front.

Those Hosta's you're all growing look great though. :D
cartel

Post by cartel »

Do ya mean Cartel G?
Huh? Not me. I thought I was the only cartel here :ahhh!:
Adam D

Post by Adam D »

I used to grow them in the ground when I lived up in Perth and they grew really well up there without any slug/snail damage either.

These had only been in the ground for 15 months and were only 3 litre pots or divisions beforehand.

Down here I grow some (don't have pictures though) - Red October, Mouse Ears (?), Halycon, White Feather (?) and Praying Hands. I particularly like the Praying Hands. I liberally douse them in the blue pegs to keep the molluscs off them!
Attachments
DSCF0013 (Medium).JPG
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

:lol:

Confusion starts with a K.

Yes, I was admiring Cartel's Hostas but thought I was looking at Dee's garden, you can see why now that Dee has posted a pic of hers.

This new look needs bigger names on the posts I think.

The pellets are working for me, I just planted the 3 that were in pots and they wre covered in dead snal shells and squishy dead slugs. Pushing them down into the holes I'd dug was like kneading Jelly Tots with the sugar sucked off them.

Very sticky, yuk!
kata

Post by kata »

Confusion starts with a K.
Get stuffed. You cocked up not me....another Kean you also blame anyone but you... :(
Last edited by kata on Mon May 14, 2012 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.