Who has a Borinda?

Andrew Smith

Re: Who has a Borinda?

Post by Andrew Smith » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:41 am

MarkD wrote:Thank goodness I've got the Chris Stapleton papyrifera, whew! :D

the Chris Stapleton papyrifera? So are all Papyrifera's not the same. Do they vary from grower to grower?

I see that Jungle Giants are selling a 20L Borinda papyrifera CS1046 for £76.60. What does the ref CS1046 mean? I assume CS stands for Chris Stapleton?

jonny

Post by jonny » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:14 am

As far as i know Andrew there are two forms of the plant circulating, the Chris stapleton form which is by far the more attractive and the Keith rushford form which is an altogether more coarser less attractive form.

sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:33 am

Ali K wrote:AND...... which ones are 'seriously' big 20ft across and tall monsters? I have a few to plant out this year and am a bit worried they'll outgrow the spaces I'd planned for them.

Hi Ali k. Would it be possible for you to build some kind of barrier under the soil so that it can not keep on spreading so it will stay confined in one space?, or better still keep it potted and sink into the ground? Good luck with what ever you chose to do. :)

simon

Post by simon » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:50 pm

Hi Andrew CS1046 is the seed collection number and yes the CS stands for Chris Stapleton. If you look at the pic on page 2 you can see the Keith Rushford form labelled as KR7613.

Andrew Smith

Post by Andrew Smith » Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:47 am

The temptation got too strong.... I have bought a Borinda Papyrifera CS1046 and it will hopefully be delivered to me this coming Tuesday :D :D :D

jonny

Post by jonny » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:55 pm

Good choice Andrew.You wont be dissapointed. What other boos are you growing? This winter i have really apprieciated the bamboos in my garden and other peoples for their evergreen foliage, colourful culms and their ability to cope with the elements.

Andrew Smith

Post by Andrew Smith » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:10 pm

jonny wrote:Good choice Andrew.You wont be dissapointed. What other boos are you growing? This winter i have really apprieciated the bamboos in my garden and other peoples for their evergreen foliage, colourful culms and their ability to cope with the elements.
I am already growing Phyllostachys nigra, Phyllostachys vivax and in the front garden Pseudosasa Japonica. I picked the location for Pseudosasa Japonica very carefully. Just hope the Borinda Papyrifera can cope with our cold winters without defoliating.

jonny

Post by jonny » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:36 pm

I am sure that it will be fine Andrew. Especially being in Southampton. Mine has been through the past two winters without defoliating and looks great even at this time of year. I love this bamboo so much that i am quite tempted to keep the eight 20litre pots of it i bought in to sell this year! They would look great as a hedge icon_thumleft