Cycad flush. AGAIN!

Andy P

Cycad flush. AGAIN!

Post by Andy P »

I bought my first Cycas Revoluta at the beginning of March. It was bought off E-bay in Spain and imported. The Weather in the UK was pretty good at the time so i repotted it and stuck it in the garden. A few days later the Weather turned bad. We had a few light frosts and then over a month of continuous cold and rain. It started to go downhill so i brought it into my Conservatory. Then the Weather changed!! I`ve had temperatures of over 40 degrees in there over the past week or so and some of the leaves were very badly burnt.( It`s weighs a bloody ton so i can`t be moving it from inside to outside all the time) So after all these extremes in weather and temps it`s recieved over the last 2 months it was starting to look a bit bedraggled. Came home from work today and it`s only gone and started a flush!! icon_cheers Yayyyyyyyy!!
Can`t wait to see this as it`s my first Cycad. Will post pics as it progresses. Should i water it more now? should i feed it?? If so what with???
Here`s a Pictorial since i bought it.
Attachments
This is how it looked when i bought it
This is how it looked when i bought it
Some leaf damage. Frost??????
Some leaf damage. Frost??????
Sunburn!
Sunburn!
Flush
Flush
how it looks today. Now i can`t move it.
how it looks today. Now i can`t move it.
Last edited by Andy P on Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Simba

Re: Cycad flush

Post by Simba »

Congrats Andy.... icon_cheers

Watching your Cycad flush is an amazing experience, take pix everyday, because you will be amazed and how quickly it pushes those new fronds out.
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Nice one! I wish mine would flush. I have 5 and 4 of them should be flushing this year.

Look forward to seeing the progression of this flush.

;)
Andy P

Post by Andy P »

Cheers guys. icon_thumleft I`m made up and really looking forward to seeing it develop. Like i said though - my 1st Cycad so i really don`t know how much to water it or what to feed it with. I think it initially started to get white leaves because of either frost or because we had constant rain for weeks and the pot was soaked through. Since it`s been in my Conservatory i`ve hardly watered it. I`ve allowed the soil to go bone dry and then i`ve given it a real soaking.It`s been in my Conservatory now for 3 or 4 weeks and i think i`ve only watered it twice. I`ve not fed it with anything yet either but it was planted into a new potting compost so thus far ive been assuming the soil would have enough Nutrients in it. I`m guessing now that it`s starting to flush though that it might need a bit more water and ferts????????? What`s the best fert for these?
Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

I've heard say a high nitrogen feed is the way to go when its in the flushing process but wait for other advice .........just in case icon_thumleft
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

I've got one, also from Spain, and like you its my first so all I know is what I have heard, so await a more informed opinion please!

I believe the leaves go downhill before they flush (and indeed that can herald a flush), so it may be more that than weather / husbandry

I also believe that you shouldn't turn them at all during the flushing as the leaves will twist and distort.
shanks

Post by shanks »

i also bought my firsy one from spain a couple months ago, i potted mine into a new planter and have not fed yet as new compost should have ticked it over, i will keep my eye on this thread as your questions are mine, no sign of flush yet, mines in full sun most of the day which i was told was the best
kata

Post by kata »

Good one Andy,

Don't move it now.

icon_cheers
Andy P

Post by Andy P »

Just an update.
Day 6 of my Cycads flush. Coming along nicely.
Attachments
2012-06-03 20.04.54.jpg
2012-06-03 20.05.08.jpg
JakoMonster

Post by JakoMonster »

Nice, I really wish i could have these it's a shame i can't
Andy P

Post by Andy P »

JakoMonster wrote:Nice, I really wish i could have these it's a shame i can't
Why can`t you?
Nigel Fear

Post by Nigel Fear »

That's looking good, you'll soon not have to worry about the older discoloured leaves. 8)
Andy P

Post by Andy P »

Nigel Fear wrote:That's looking good, you'll soon not have to worry about the older discoloured leaves. 8)
I`m wondering though, at this stage, whether i will have to remove the older leaves or just leave them be. Sorry for my ignorance but i`ve never had a Cycad before. Will all the old leaves die back now????
JakoMonster

Post by JakoMonster »

Andy P wrote:
JakoMonster wrote:Nice, I really wish i could have these it's a shame i can't
Why can`t you?
Well there extremley toxic to Pets if ingested and i have 2 rabbits and a dog that tend to chew the plants.
Andy P

Post by Andy P »

Ok. I didn`t know that. Everydays a school day.