Cycad flush. AGAIN!

kata

Re: Cycad flush

Post by kata »

Looking great Bob icon_cheers

Yours should flush soon Karl. I gave mine buckets of water to make it flush.

:mrgreen:
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

My largest is well on its way now with over a foot of new growth.

My 2 cycas circinalis are also starting to flush now too.

icon_cheers
Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

Bob wrote: Taking it's time and maybe not as many fronds as I'd expected but it's getting there. :mrgreen:
I know you're a bit shaded Bob but give it as much good light as you can for as long as you can. Less light apparently leads to stretched weakened fronds quite easily in these. icon_thumleft
Bob

Post by Bob »

Yes Mark, thats why it's parked in the Greenhouse, the warmest, sunniest spot I can provide for it. :mrgreen:
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

Mine aint budged :(
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
Troppoz

Post by Troppoz »

Try the warm water regime Coddy, it seemed to kick Goggs into action icon_thumleft
stevieboy1

Post by stevieboy1 »

Fantastic cycads and great thread! icon_thumleft some very usfull pics info and links all will come in handy im looking after my rather small one in comparison lol. :lol:

I have one question when it flushes on adverage how many fonds would say a 8 leafed rather small one push out? one two? with each flush? I just take it that when they do decide to flush from a smaller plant the flushes of fonds will increase as it grows and graduly gets bigger over many years?

regards
Steve icon_thumleft
Andy P

Post by Andy P »

Stevie, i`m no expert on Cycads, i only have the one but it`s growing at a fantastic rate and has gone from strength to strength. I`ve seen them growing in Florida and many places on the Med and i know they love heat- and lots of it. My conservatory reaches temps of 40 degrees + in the Summer and it thrives on that. I only water it when the soil gets bone dry and then i soak it with a water/ miracle grow/ house plant solution. When all 3 of it`s pups flushed last Summer i also asked the question about removing the Pups to make other plants and people on here advised me against it - saying that they probably wouldn`t survive, but now ( as it`s starting to get soooooo large and even too big for my Conservatory) i`m thinking that i`ll probably re-pot it soon and cut all the Pups off to make new plants. After all, It`s worked for all my Basjoos and Colocasias so why wouldn`t it work with a Cycad?

*** sorry i meant to post this reply on your Cycad thread currently running alongside this.
stevieboy1

Post by stevieboy1 »

Cool. Mine stands just over a foot high so just a baby really but I'm so happy to have it wanted one since I first see them. I did germinate a dioon cycad seed but after it put down its root it rotted of for some strange reason so that was a bit disheartening but I've got a nice little plant now and will keep my eyes open for a nice pot for it to pot it up in and see how I get on. I will bring it in for winter as don't want to risk damage during the cold months pluss it's only small so can find somewhere to stand it ;-)

Regards
Steve ;-)
Steph

Post by Steph »

Steve
I say you get more fronds if the plant is fed a Nitrogen rich feed and kept in a warm humid environment.
That's Chempak 2 or lawn feed.

Mine are enjoying the heat of the conservatory, even though they would survive outside OK.
The leafless one, they went yellow is under a cloche in the conservatory - it must be roasting but looks to be opening up a bit.
Vagetarian

Post by Vagetarian »

Steph wrote:I say you get more fronds if the plant is fed a Nitrogen rich feed and kept in a warm humid environment.
Or dried blood (fast) or hoof & horn (slow) for those of a more organic persuasion (cheap on eBay). :)
Steph

Post by Steph »

Vagetarian wrote:
Steph wrote:I say you get more fronds if the plant is fed a Nitrogen rich feed and kept in a warm humid environment.
Or dried blood (fast) or hoof & horn (slow) for those of a more organic persuasion (cheap on eBay). :)
Organic it maybe but makes my flesh creep being vegetarian, dread to think where it comes from.
Vagetarian

Post by Vagetarian »

I believe they're both byproducts from abattoirs. Probably best avoided for any vegetarians although the way I see it is that it would be a terrible waste not to use it since the animals will be slaughtered for the meat regardless. It is natures fertiliser, dead things and poo. :lol:
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

Vagetarian wrote:I believe they're both byproducts from abattoirs.
Great fertilisers IMHO, but I think the word Organic needs to be considered with caution. The fertilisers readily available (no doubt Soil Association certified ones also available, but more expensive) will be from Abattoirs that process animals that have not been reared "organically" ... so the things that organic folk worry about - antibiotics, steroids, etc. - are likely to be present. I have no idea if that presents any sort of risk, but having had mates who bought bags of Farm Yard manure labelled "Organic" from garden centre that then killed all his plants because they contained residues of Herbicide I think it is worth just being aware of. "Organic" on the label doesn't say much. Sorry, not meaning / wanting to spark a debate, apologies if it reads that way.
Steady

Post by Steady »

I bought my largest cycad from the palm centre earlier this year and it was in mid flush, it's still in mid flush now and hasn't moved! I'm sure it'll just carry on when it's ready but Ive put it out and I'm reluctant to move it much as it might repay me with wonky fronds!