Washie f/b vs. Cidpt

Edo

Washie f/b vs. Cidpt

Post by Edo »

Hey guys,
what do you thing which one is more cold hardy, faster grower, lower maintaince tree?
Im planing to plant a several years old washie down on the very south-east, in the city of Trebinje.
It is very small town, but Ive seen several large cidps there. It never gets really cold there, about -1C in the winter or such.
What should i expect?
Edo
greendragon

Re: Washie f/b vs. Cidpt

Post by greendragon »

Some CIDPs have got huge in the South of England, the Washingtonias in a nearbye location were killed off. So I would say the Phoenix canariensis_CIDP are much hardier. Chances are the leaves will be severly damaged on the Washingtonia every winter.
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

It depends on other climatic conditions other than cold really...

Phoenix canariensis are generally hardy to about -10C when mature (though will suffer damage) but in the UK that figure is about -8C...

Washingtonia robusta are less hardy than W. filifera, but W. robusta grows better in more humid climates. As such there are a few W. robusta dotted about in milder parts of the UK. W. filifera can take much lower temperatures, but only in a dry climate, in parts of the US they have taken -12C to -15C & recovered from defoliation, but this in a desert type climate, with a large temperature rebound the following day...

Washingtonia filibusta (filifera x robusta) do have some traits of each palm, but they have not really been proven (in the UK climate at least) to provide any extra cold hardiness combined with damp/wet weather tolerance...

So really it depends on quite a few different factors, but in the UK at least Phoenix canariensis is hardiest.

I would actually plant some Washingtonia in the location you mention, as if they do suffer damage from the winter (as long as it's not cold enough to kill them) they will grow fast in your hotter summer temperatures & will potentially be rather fast growing icon_thumleft
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

i wouldnt have thought -1 would harm either down there Edo. are washingtonia cheap enough to try both?? if not,buy some washy seeds,they germinate really easy and wont take long to grow there even if you have to protect them for the first couple of years icon_thumright icon_thumright
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
Edo

Post by Edo »

Thanks guys,
who would say that phoenix is more cold resistant than Washie.
As for the climate down there it is more typ of a climate such is in Spain or Arizona or such, its little bit desert conditions, but over the night, yes it can be bitterly cold.
There are many neriums, figs, cypresses there too, but anyways ill give it a shoot with this washingtonia.

Thanks,
Edo