Butia capitata / Butia eriospatha

Huddy

Butia capitata / Butia eriospatha

Post by Huddy »

I was thinking of buying a very large Butia capitata or eriospatha for my birthday but recent weather and previous years have put me off pressing the buy button.

How far NORTH would you guys say these are successful in the ground? for the UK!
karl66

Re: Butia capitata / Butia eriospatha

Post by karl66 »

Nigel kembrey is your butia man but erispathia is slightly more cold hardy than capitata/odorata & is far happier in the wet weather as its grown at a higher altitude. I would'nt fancy growing it any further north than say newcastle without proper winter protection. karl.
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

The farthest north I know was the Llyn peninsular north wales. Sadley that is now dead. I`m shure some one will know of one further north. icon_thumright
Erios are supposed to be more tolerant to wet, however I`m not sure they have been in the country long enough to establish this for sure. It could just be more nurserymans hype. icon_thumright
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

jungle jas wrote: It could just be more nurserymans hype. icon_thumright
:o not hype.... they grow in the cool mountains and see 200mm rain per month on average in habitat.

The problem with Butia capitata is that it can be almost any Butia. Thats why its so variable. If you have the Butia capitata ( actually odorata from south tip brasil/uruguay) then its on a par with eriospatha.
As a general rule the round seeded Butias are the hardiest ones.
kevineden

Post by kevineden »

bought a capitata in april for £80 so im hoping its going to be ok icon_scratch
Addictedtopalms26

Post by Addictedtopalms26 »

Buy a Jubaea!! icon_thumleft
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

Addictedtopalms26 wrote:Buy a Jubaea!! icon_thumleft
That's always my advice. Nice one. :lol: icon_thumright
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

:o not hype.... they grow in the cool mountains and see 200mm rain per month on average in habitat.

The problem with Butia capitata is that it can be almost any Butia. Thats why its so variable. If you have the Butia capitata ( actually odorata from south tip brasil/uruguay) then its on a par with eriospatha.
As a general rule the round seeded Butias are the hardiest ones.[/quote]

Thanks for that information. icon_thumright Can you tell us what temperatures they grow in in the wild, both summer and winter. That would give us an idea in what part of the UK we can grow them in. I have three but always bring them in for the winter as I don want to loose them. They are such a nice looking palm. The lowest temperature I have had is -8c in the last 4 years so I suspect I could grow them outside here. icon_thumright
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

you probably could Jas but -8 is very close to butia damaging temps. weaker specimens could get damaged by that. -10 saw my big one off,been in the front garden for years and was doing well. it made a comeback very late last year,i had a polycarb shelter built around and over it for the worst of last winter. today i have to go out and pick up the new growth,it is littered round the garden from the winds and im back to a stump again. i now have to dig it up and pot it,the stress of that will probably finish it off but its looks a mess out there icon_thumbdown icon_thumbdown
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

Both Mumfie ans I have one but as they are not HUGE they live in large pots and are dragged under cover for the COLD winter.
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
greendragon

Post by greendragon »

Cant you just protect them like dave protects his washie. Keeping them dry would probably be enough. Which is hardier between erospathia and jubaea?
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

I grew them well for over 20 years in Bristol with annual lows of around-8C. Up to that level they are pretty easy.
Once it goes past -8C the problems start, they can probably take -10 to -12 if its for a short spell.
Once you get a freezing spell of more than 1 week day and night they need wrapping up .
The winter of 2009 and 2010 in Bristol were a but strong with prolonged freezes and temps below -10C, they only survive those conditions with serious wrapping.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

It was at -9.2C in the mountains where Butia eriospatha grows last night. last year it got to around the same and was coldest for over 30 years, winter has hardly started there and already -9.2C , thats un heard of.
http://noticias.uol.com.br/album/2012/0 ... brefoto=87
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

greendragon wrote:Cant you just protect them like dave protects his washie. Keeping them dry would probably be enough. Which is hardier between erospathia and jubaea?
Jubaea supposedly down to -15C. I have two planted outside OK so far. If you want to try a Jubaea try this guy. www.exotik.pagedelux.de had mine off him and can recommend him. Would have preferred to buy in the UK, but they are so ruddy expensive in this country. icon_thumright
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

Nigel wrote:It was at -9.2C in the mountains where Butia eriospatha grows last night. last year it got to around the same and was coldest for over 30 years, winter has hardly started there and already -9.2C , that's unheard of.
http://noticias.uol.com.br/album/2012/0 ... brefoto=87
Thanks for the info. Very helpful. icon_thumright